Need Advise Install moulding dorsal Fin

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

Need Advise Install moulding dorsal Fin

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I need advise on installing the rubber moulding on dorsal Fin skin. Badly deteriorated.

Thanks for the tips on sourcing P.N. S-202RB aka p.n. 0411875-22 and latest's R581462
IPC pg 25 fig 13 33.

I purchased from UNIVAIR.

Moulding fits at bottom edge of dorsal fin skin. very long pieces.

Surely It is not necessary to remove the Dorsal Fin to install this simple rubber trim.

Please share the technique for installation.
Regards
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
skifast13

Re: Need Advise Install moulding dorsal Fin

Post by skifast13 »

My 0411875-4 - MOLDING (now R581462 CHANNEL) is also splitting and pulling up at the leading edge of the stab. Does anybody have a recommended adhesive remover and adhesive that they use to remove and then re-apply the new moulding/molding (spelled incorrectly on purpose for search purposes). Thanks in advance for your expertise!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

It’s been awhile since I’ve done this, but it was not a difficult job as long as the U-seal is not cold or on a cold day is sufficiently flexible to spread/flatten the seal and slip it under the edge of the sheet metal. I did not use adhesive and it’s remained in-place just fine, but in other locations adhesive has been required. My preference is 3-M 1300L adhesive, which can also be removed using MEK. (When installing door seals and other seals a common practice in the industry is (using an acid-brush) to paint the surfaces with a light coat of 1300L and let it dry, then re-activate it with the MEK as you “go along” placing the seal in position. In difficult locations (such as this one being discussed) if adhesive is desired, it might a good technique to install the seal, then come back and apply 1300L to the inside of the U-seal with a brush.)
I’ve noticed lately that genuine MEK is no longer sold at many hardware/paint stores, instead a “substitute” is offered. I have not used it yet for this purpose, FYI.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
skifast13

Post by skifast13 »

Thank you, GAHorn!!