LED landing light question??

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Pdogace

LED landing light question??

Post by Pdogace »

Hey guys I came across this web site and wanted to throw it out to the legal experts!! https://www.aero-lites.com

I would consider replacing my GE light bulbs with these drop in LED replacements as a minor alteration, and as such just note it in the logbook and that's it. No 337 or "field approval" required. Am I right or oh so wrong. Thoughts are requested. $59 a piece seems like a great deal. Thanks as always for the input.
Preston
1954 C170B "Sweet Caroline"
flyboy122

Re: LED landing light question??

Post by flyboy122 »

Well, their installation guide mentions a couple times it's not approved for certified aircraft, and approval on such aircraft is up to the installer.

I installed a EZHeat pan heater on my plane a few years back. When I asked them how I should sign it off, they sent me a copy of a letter from the FAA stating the FAA determined this was considered a minor change. I signed it off if the logbooks as such and kept the letter with the aircraft paperwork. If this light is installable as a minor change, I would have expected the OEM to get a similar type letter from the feds.

That being said, what's the worst that could happen? IF someone squawks it, and IF you fail a major/minor determination with the FAA, you then either have to get a Field Approval, or remove it. It's a landing light.....not an undoable mod. However if going down this road I would probably at least spring for a TSO'd light.

DEM
DMACJR

Post by DMACJR »

To avoid ANY hassles down the road, I opted to install the Whelen LED drop in bulbs, they are approved for certified aircraft, sure they are expensive, but 10,000 hr expectancy and a 5 year warranty, but I do know of folks that opted for the $59 specials as well, if you IA is a reasonable chap, then when it comes annual time should be no problems.....and a ramp check on such a thing would be anal retentive at best...
KG

Post by KG »

Does the GE 4509 bulb that you are replacing have a TSO or PMA?

https://www.avweb.com/blogs/insider/AVW ... 196-1.html

The website mentioned doesn't say that they aren't approved for certified aircraft. It says, "in many cases...." and puts the responsibility on the installer (where it is anyway).

Pilot replaceable. Install the LED and make a logbook entry. In my opinion.
53 170B
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I tend to agree that this bulb is a standard part just like a GE4509 or a Sylvania 4509. It says that it is a PAR 36 drop in replacement for a 4509. Install it and log it.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Pdogace

Post by Pdogace »

Thanks for the input guys. I think i agree with Bruce, put them in and log it, easy breezy!!
Preston
1954 C170B "Sweet Caroline"
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I have been trying to find the web address that sells these lights plus a unit that creates a wig wag flasher. AVweb sums up what the regs are all about. The last ramp check I had they were only interested in my aircraft documentation and maps . I do not carry maps these days .all in the approved iPad including my fuel log and weight and balance etc. The iPad was too much for him and he walked off calling me a 'techno nut' . A little rude but it was a quick encounter . [australia]
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

ghostflyer... I guess you'll have to change your username now to "techno-nut". :lol:

I agree it's a minor alteration and besides, probably also meets the spirit of AC27-29. In any case... there is NO requirement for any TSO for our airplanes under Pt 91. Wagner 4509's from Tractor Supply are perfectly legal as well, not to mention the Sylvanias from Auto Supply at $4.99 each... (so staying with incandescent would be my recommendation anyway since LEDs don't light up a "spot" on the runway nearly as well for landing-light purposes. Taxi lamp use may be better use for LEDs in my opinion, but I tried it and was disappointed and returned to incandescent.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I had two new GE4509s installed at the last annual. Two months and less than 25 hours later, one is already burned out (I usually turn them on in the airport area). I do little to no night flying, so for me, I think that even if the LEDs don't light up the world like an incandescent, they would be better than replacing bulbs 5-6 times a year.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

cessna170bdriver wrote:I had two new GE4509s installed at the last annual. Two months and less than 25 hours later, one is already burned out (I usually turn them on in the airport area). I do little to no night flying, so for me, I think that even if the LEDs don't light up the world like an incandescent, they would be better than replacing bulbs 5-6 times a year.
LED Landing lights are very good for collision avoidance during the day. You can see them much better than the old incandescents.

While LEDs are visible from very far, they don't seem to put as much effective light down range to illuminate objects.
I think a good incandescent landing light and an LED taxi light on separate switches is a good setup. Leave the taxi light on all the time.
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

ghostflyer wrote:I have been trying to find the web address that sells these lights plus a unit that creates a wig wag flasher. ... .
Seaton Maxpulse STC SA1861SE
Precise Flight Pulselite STC SA4005NM
Avtek Pulsar STC SA5156NM
Gary
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

I have been looking at these, they offer a flasher also:

http://www.goodiesforpilots.com/products
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

There's a lot of variation in LED lights -- brightness, beam shape, etc., but I've found that LEDs light more of the runway at greater distance than incandescents. LEDs make a cold light that washes out colors so it's a little harder to identify objects, but in my opinion that's their only disadvantage. The worst light is a burned-out one, so I'll never use incandescents again.
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

That's them, "Goodies for pilots" .they have led lights at the right price and quality . Plus they are not far from Deming where the convention is being held . I am thinking of doing a day trip up there when at Deming to buy some . I have seen the lights from this organisation in use and very impressive.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

bagarre wrote:
cessna170bdriver wrote:I had two new GE4509s installed at the last annual. Two months and less than 25 hours later, one is already burned out (I usually turn them on in the airport area). I do little to no night flying, so for me, I think that even if the LEDs don't light up the world like an incandescent, they would be better than replacing bulbs 5-6 times a year.
LED Landing lights are very good for collision avoidance during the day. You can see them much better than the old incandescents.

While LEDs are visible from very far, they don't seem to put as much effective light down range to illuminate objects.
I think a good incandescent landing light and an LED taxi light on separate switches is a good setup. Leave the taxi light on all the time.
Yes, that IS a good compromise, in my opinion, David! LEDs are indeed quite visible to other aircraft... just less helpful in illuminating objects, due to their lack of wide-spectrum. But they are a great anti-collision lamp and even better if flashing. (which is what my wingtip STROBES do quite effectively by design.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)