Carb Hose How LONG?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

Carb Hose How LONG?

Post by MoonlightVFR »

How long should owner operator allow the hose from gascolator to carb remain on aircraft?

0 300 , C170B late model.

Current hose, looks very good no issues.

Do new hoses have a date of mfg stamp?

Who mfgs the Best hose?
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
flyboy122

Re: Carb Hose How LONG?

Post by flyboy122 »

I'm blanking on the "official" life (you can look it up), but 10 years is a probably a good realistic number for most privately flown, hanger kept birds. Just because it looks good doesn't mean it is good. They get stiff, and if someone has run car gas with ethanol in it you have to worry about blistering. (Happened to me, engine sputtered, turns out all that slow flight stuff they teach you comes in REALLY handy when trying to nurse it back to the airport.)

The hose is relatively cheap and easy to change. Just do it and one less thing to worry about.

DEM
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Five years or at engine ovhl/removal according to most approved programs. Personally, I feel all critical and flammable-fluid hoses should be replaced at the recommended chronological recommended Engine TBO regardless of actual ovhl decision. Our O300/C145 engines specify 1800 hrs or 12 years whichever comes first. Therefore I'd certainly change hoses at 12 years at a minimum.

A previously-manufactured replacement hose may be ordered from Aircraft Spruce as well as directly from hose mfr's. Measure yours, including the end-fittings, and place the order. I suggest you order it WITH fire-sleeve.

And guess what...??? Under FAR 43 Appdx A, Such replacement of mfr'd hoses is "Preventive Maintenance" and may be accomplished by the Pilot/Owner and signed off.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Thank you for the post
Now I am informed.

Ordered replacement from AS - they like "fresh" hose sales - placed order - was informed their Arzizona hose
fab would immediately do the order. Aero Quip shop apparently. So this hose cannot be stale bread NOS it is one up custom made professionally.

I started with IPC fig 50 page 86 - line item #15 . M528741-6-0180 superceded to their 350-6-0180.

Paid 53.73 one hose - happily. Passed up op with local DIY. Don't know mandrels.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Good on-ya!, Grady!

I hope you also measured YOUR PRESENT hose to confirm that no alterations of your installation have occurred since the aircraft was built... and also to be assured the hose described in the IPC actually fits YOUR aircraft.

It is not uncommon that alterations over the years will require hose lengths and end-fittings to be changed from OEM... and it's also well known the IPC has occasional errors... so the BEST solution will involve your taking actual measurements of your hose.

Next...be certain to avoid a common error in building fuel hoses... One made TOO LONG can suffer from a LOW-SPOT in the installation ...where water can settle within the hose under some rare circumstances. The gascolator should be lower than the carburetor in ordinary level flight as well as on the ground in 3-point stance (so water will collect in the gascolator and not in the hose or carb), ...and the hose should be routed continuously uphill to avoid low/sags where water and contaminates might settle.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)