Mag Rite Engine Timer?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

nippaero

Mag Rite Engine Timer?

Post by nippaero »

Does anyone know anything about the Mag-Rite? I was thinking about getting one for my tool box and placed an order a couple weeks ago. I have not heard anything and they do not return phone calls or emails. I talked to ATS today, who used to carry them, and they said they have had the same problem.

http://www.ritesystem.net
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
lowNslow

Re: Mag Rite Engine Timer?

Post by lowNslow »

I bought one a while back and it works great, but I haven't had to contact them since then. To bad they aren't supporting it.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
DMACJR

Post by DMACJR »

I bought that kit and it's the cat's meow
IA DPE

Post by IA DPE »

Did you ever receive your order?

I might be interested in it as well.
1955 C170B N2993D s/n 26936
1986 DG-400 N9966C
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

After several weeks of no response I ended up having to go through PayPal for a refund. About that time the owner contacted me and apologized. He offered to refund my money or wait to ship the unit to me. I can’t remember the reason he gave me. It’s a small business so things happen. I would still like to get one but I haven’t checked back to see if they are readily available. ATS tools webpage still shows out of stock.
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
Poncho73

Post by Poncho73 »

I have the original pointer style one...it was the only way to time the Jacobs in the 195
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

So if you have an I phone with a level app you can tape your phone to the prop blade tip and determine TDC on the number one cylinder. Several good ways to do this. Then zero your level and back it up past the degrees before TDC and then advance it to the appropriate number of degrees. Set the mags and don't forget to untape your phone before firing up. Used to use a plastic protractor and string with weight when out in the field and had to quick check timing
It's not done till it's overdone
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

marathonrunner wrote:So if you have an I phone with a level app you can tape your phone to the prop blade tip and determine TDC on the number one cylinder. Several good ways to do this. Then zero your level and back it up past the degrees before TDC and then advance it to the appropriate number of degrees. Set the mags and don't forget to untape your phone before firing up. Used to use a plastic protractor and string with weight when out in the field and had to quick check timing
As Pres. Teddy might say, ...."BULLY IDEA"! (And taping it to the prop tip will add to the accuracy due to the arm.) :wink:

There are other apps available to the Androids also.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)