Which headset ?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Ryan Smith

Re: Which headset ?

Post by Ryan Smith »

I've got two pair of DC H10-40s that are older than I am...about 32 years old. Not surprisingly, they work flawlessly after all these years, but they DO have quite a bit less circuitry than a modern ANR headset. Maybe my melon is soft, but I did a couple of 8-hour days in them in my younger years, and I found myself with a headache afterward.

I have done quite a few 10-hour days in airplanes with my A20s, and I am comfortable at the end of the day. I am a bit the contrarian to Keith in that I wonder if some of my really high-frequency hearing loss has been from ANR headsets. It could be natural hearing loss with age as I still can hear frequencies typical of someone in their mid-20s (I'm 31), but it could also be all of the loud concerts I have been to. If I were to take absolute stock in what an audiologist would tell me, I would probably think that my A20s have had more than a contributory effort into me losing some of my high-frequency hearing.

I'm still a huge fan and have enjoyed every second of using them. I wouldn't be averse to trying some of the One-X headsets sometime, or Clarity Alofts.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Ryan Smith wrote:. I wonder if some of my really high-frequency hearing loss has been from ANR headsets. It could be natural hearing loss with age as I still can hear frequencies typical of someone in their mid-20s (I'm 31), but it could also be all of the loud concerts I have been to. If I were to take absolute stock in what an audiologist would tell me, I would probably think that my A20s have had more than a contributory effort into me losing some of my high-frequency hearing.
Ok, you'd better explain that one. How do ANR headsets cause high frequency hearing loss?
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

DaveF wrote:
Ryan Smith wrote:. I wonder if some of my really high-frequency hearing loss has been from ANR headsets. It could be natural hearing loss with age as I still can hear frequencies typical of someone in their mid-20s (I'm 31), but it could also be all of the loud concerts I have been to. If I were to take absolute stock in what an audiologist would tell me, I would probably think that my A20s have had more than a contributory effort into me losing some of my high-frequency hearing.
Ok, you'd better explain that one. How do ANR headsets cause high frequency hearing loss?
The noise level isn't actually "lower" using ANR. It's just artificially lower by canceling out the sound waves. Passive headsets physically block the noise.

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/article ... en-to-you/
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Luckily, that article doesn't say ANR headsets cause hearing damage, because they don't. They reduce noise by adding a sound into the earcup that's equal and opposite to whatever leaks in, and the sum is nearly zero. Zero is zero, no matter how you achieve it. ANR, earplugs, passive headsets, or if the noise had never existed. Wear your A20s and be happy.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

swixtt wrote:Charlie, i have an older original LS zulu and find the volumes sliders don't work as well as they once did. one side will get scratchy and fade until i move the volume a few times. probably those contacts need cleaned up. where did you send them for refurb? direct to LightSpeed?
Bill, i bought used ones as well and have been very pleased the Zulu's. I even tried their Cordless ones but find they aren't as refined as they could be... nice not having cords though:)
My old "special sauce" fixed mine immediately (exact same problem).... WD-40! :P
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

swixtt wrote:Charlie, i have an older original LS zulu and find the volumes sliders don't work as well as they once did. one side will get scratchy and fade until i move the volume a few times. probably those contacts need cleaned up. where did you send them for refurb? direct to LightSpeed?
Bill, i bought used ones as well and have been very pleased the Zulu's. I even tried their Cordless ones but find they aren't as refined as they could be... nice not having cords though:)
My old "special sauce" fixed mine immediately (exact same problem).... WD-40! :P
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
DoubleOught

Post by DoubleOught »

I had to replace my 35 yr. old Sigtronics headsets, I went with Lightspeed Zulu-2's. Two surprises , first time the 2 AA batteries failed I suddenly heard the engine running , startled me for a moment until I figured out what had happened . You have to adjust the volume to about 50% or you get a chirping in your radio transmissions. Other than that I love mine and so does my passengers . The Sigtronics (Blue) ones lasted 35+ years, and they were way cheaper. Anything beats the overhead speaker and hand mic.
There are old pilots & There are bold pilots, But there are no old bold pilots !!!
2010 Team Tandem Airbike N700XX
1953 Cessna 170-B N3401C
First plane Cessna 175A N7000E
TFA170

Post by TFA170 »

Bose. No question.

I've tried many others, primarily in C-130/L100 aircraft, arguably the noisiest 'modern' aircraft out there. Nothing beats the Bose for NR. I got the older Bose-X and bought several pairs as military surplus and simply swap the mic/cord out for whichever application I need (dual GA style, Bose ship-power plug, and military single U-174 plug).

The weakest spot on them is the 'wishbone' for the ear cups - they do tend to crack if abused.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

gahorn wrote:
OK...I'm going to now admit I've run into another problem with the sliding volume controls.... One of them began to "jam" or become resistant to sliding at lower volume levels.

I discovered the problem to be friction with the sliders in the cover's "slots" in which they slide have slightly shrunk/warped in the sun/heat. I had to take it apart and use a Swiss-file to open the slot a bit and now it works perfectly again. WARNING: If you attempt to make this repair don't give yourself the startle I gave myself. There are two small phillips screws which must be removed to open the covers. NOW THE PROBLEM: 1) the sliders have an extremely tiny "ball" sitting in a detent to give the "ratcheting" feel to the slider. There is nothing to hold those balls in the slider's detent except the upper cover. They WILL fall out when you remove the cover. 2) The sliders themselves, the "Test" button, and the ON/OFF button simply sit upon their microswitches and will also fall out when the cover is removed. SOOOO>>>>>> be certain to open it only on a CLEAN surface...preferably a cloth or paper to catch them.
Also, you will need some fine tweezers to place those balls back into their detents when replacing the cover. 3) Don't overtighten the screws when re-assembling. Snug is all that's necessary. PRINT THIS OUT and keep it before you while you do this and you'll be fine.

My volume sliders now work properly again. :P