Latch return spring ...

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Lee

Latch return spring ...

Post by Lee »

Hi ... anyone know where to buy a return spring for (in my case) a right hand door latch ... '54B ... N1967C, ser: 26112. I went to open the door today and felt the spring go bye bye. Thanks, R/Lee

PS Work on the airplane proceeding well. Several STCs are being incorporated. Engine work just about complete. Need to wire the alternator. Instrument panel is next ... several EI gauges along with installing the Stratus/Appareo transponder ADS-B OUT with their power Plug (2 USB ports) and their hard wired ADS-B IN receiver. Bought a Trans Cal altitude encoder and have already had that tested. Hope to fly next month!
Pdogace

Re: Latch return spring ...

Post by Pdogace »

Google "Cessna 170 door spring" and scroll down to the link on the Cessna 120/140 forum. There is a guy out in CA that will make you some. I used him about 6 months ago and they fit like a charm if it's the one you need. They are pricey. I think I paid $60 or so for 2 of them. Hope this helps. If you can't find the link pm me and I will shoot you his email.
Preston
1954 C170B "Sweet Caroline"
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Lee, it is just as likely your door latch was repaired sometime in the past and very likely with springs that are not the type Cessna installed. In fact if the spring called the mouse trap spring, is the one you need, Cessna even came out with a new tension spring kit to replace the original mouse trap type. There are pictures of all this here at the forum.

And after you see the Cessna kit, it might remind you of springs you saw at your local hardware store.

The guy at the 120/140 site making mouse trap springs is pricey considering this is a spring one can bend at home with a little knowledge. As you can see, I have the knowledge, a bending jig and the material. Send me a PM.
IMG_2589.jpg
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Cessna actually altered that installation design and here is a link to the pics a member posted similar to the Cessna "new" method:
http://cessna170.org/forums/viewtopic.p ... ing#p70072
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)