Airtex Firewall Cover

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

nippaero

Airtex Firewall Cover

Post by nippaero »

Are any of you guys using the Airtex (or other) firewall cover. I am looking for suggestions on how to best attach it to the inside of the firewall. I am trying to limit the number of holes I had to drill. The Airtex cover I purchased is made of two halves. An upper and lower.
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
jonesronc

Re: Airtex Firewall Cover

Post by jonesronc »

I used

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Weld-N ... B00HLSUO5A

There are a number of penetrations of cables, brake cylinder covers, etc that will tend also to hold it in place, too. I combined mine with engine and control changes so I only had to split it in two for the parking brake, which I covered up with electrical tape.
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

I was wondering about using some real sticky Velcro tape in a couple strategic areas. I don't really like the idea of glueing it because it makes a mess down the road if you ever need to remove it.
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
jonesronc

Post by jonesronc »

Hmmm - I see your point. I'm just not sure how well the Velcro will hold up over time/vibration/heat. This is definitely not a job you want to do twice. But, I guess you could patch up with adhesive as needed. Good luck!
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I used .500 closed cell foam on the inside wall of the firewall. There's a lip on the top of the heat distribution duct which it fit nicely into and all the cables , bulkhead fittings and two screws ( one each side at the mid top) hold everything in place.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Aryana wrote:Just remember whatever you use should be able to withstand some serious heat should the firewall live up to it's name.
And this is no joke. A good friend and his wife would have perished had he not been such a skilled pilot who knew his aircraft performance and was able to make a 300 ft agl 360 flight, turning very abbreviated pattern back to the runway he just departed when his cockpit started filling with smoke as he lifted off. This was a Balanca Super Viking. The muffler, which 5 hours earlier underwent inspection, cracked, most likely when the engine backfired on start as they often do, and a jet of hot gas was point right at the fire wall, causing the blanket to emit smoke.

I have no blanket on my firewall and don't plan to reinstall one personally.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com