Intercom suggestions

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

flyingredyeti

Intercom suggestions

Post by flyingredyeti »

Hello all. So, I've finally brought '26C home to Alaska, and it's time to start making a few changes. To start, I would like to install a 4 place intercom. Having no ashtrays, I think the best option for me would be to install the rear jacks behind the door frames, as some on here have discussed. Secondly, I would like to maintain the current position of the forward Jacks, which are outboard of each yoke. Having said that, I would like to ask for any recommendations this forum may have to offer. Foremost considerations are cost, naturally, and pragmatic installation- i.e routing and position of the unit. Thanks.
First time aircraft owner: '26C A gleaming Cessna 170B with 180 horsepower: the perfect mechanical bird.
pdb

Re: Intercom suggestions

Post by pdb »

I have a 4 place Sigtronics PANEL MOUNT INTERCOM that has been bombproof and has worked perfectly for years.

I do a fair amount of long distance xc (Ak to VA) and I really wish I could connect my iPad or iPhone to play music on those long trips. I would pay up for stereo input on the models now available. My Zulus will do it for me via Bluetooth when solo but the pax can't hear it.
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
flyingredyeti

Post by flyingredyeti »

Thanks Pete. That one looks promising.

-joshua
First time aircraft owner: '26C A gleaming Cessna 170B with 180 horsepower: the perfect mechanical bird.
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

In 81D, I installed a Sigtronics SCI-4 with music and loved it so much that I bought another one for 95D.

They are pricey but they perform rock solid.
Don't underestimate the value of piping in some music either.

For the rear plugs, I put them in the ashtray in 81D. I thought about the rear door post but worried about cable clearance and the headache of removing the trim panel.
95D wont have a headliner so Im putting the plugs on the rear bulkhead above the rear seat adjustment blocks. Out of the way and easy to reach.
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

+3 on the Sigtronics. I put my rear jacks under the hat shelf off to the side, this keeps all the headphone cables behind and out of the way making egress uneventful.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I have enjoyed the PSEngineering 1000 for a dozen years, but there are some newer units that incorporate Bluetooth and other features you might wish to consider with cordless headsets etc.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Post by 170C »

I also put my rear headset jacks in the rear bulkhead near the rear seat adjustment bracket. They are out of the way and its easy to put headsets on the hat shelf when not in use.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

170C wrote:I also put my rear headset jacks in the rear bulkhead near the rear seat adjustment bracket. They are out of the way and its easy to put headsets on the hat shelf when not in use.
Did you route the wires over head or under foot?
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

This is a timely thread for me. For whatever reason, my 25 year old QuietFlite intercom is ignoring input from my audio panel. Fortunately I had installed a headphone jack on the output of the audio panel, so I can hear the radio, but the passenger can't, and I can't hear the passenger. I'm thinking that after 25 years my intercom doesn't owe me anything and it might be time for an upgrade.

I'll also be looking for ideas on rear seat jack locations. I liked them on the hat shelf, but was disappointed to find out that the hat shelf couldn't be used after the baggage door was installed.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
170C

Post by 170C »

My rear headphone wiring goes down under the floor. It was easy to route the wiring that way.
Miles, were your headset jacks mounted vertically in your hat shelf? Would it be possible to mount them in the forward edge of the hat shelf? I never thought of that possibility. As I mentioned, mine are in the bulkhead itself just outside of the rear seat. They don't interfer with adjusting the rear seat or removing it. Wires go down on the back side of the bulkhead behind the baggage compartment side panels. If you used this method you would want to either run the wiring up over the headliner or on the left side you could still (I think ?) run the left hand side jack wiring on the back side of the bulkhead--depending on how the baggage door is installed.

I have a Sigtronics 400 unit (may have a letter before or after the 400). Unit works reasonably well, but if replacing it I would consider a different model or different mfg.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
cessna170bdriver

170C wrote:My rear headphone wiring goes down under the floor. It was easy to route the wiring that way.
Miles, were your headset jacks mounted vertically in your hat shelf? Would it be possible to mount them in the forward edge of the hat shelf? I never thought of that possibility. As I mentioned, mine are in the bulkhead itself just outside of the rear seat. They don't interfer with adjusting the rear seat or removing it. Wires go down on the back side of the bulkhead behind the baggage compartment side panels. If you used this method you would want to either run the wiring up over the headliner or on the left side you could still (I think ?) run the left hand side jack wiring on the back side of the bulkhead--depending on how the baggage door is installed.

I have a Sigtronics 400 unit (may have a letter before or after the 400). Unit works reasonably well, but if replacing it I would consider a different model or different mfg.
Thank you Frank, my jacks were vertical in the surface of the shelf, but since I have a baggage door I can't install the shelf at all. I'll check for a place on that bulkhead. I'm sure something will pop up; I know I cant be the first person with a 170 with a 4-place intercom and no hat shelf. :)
Miles

— Thomas Browne
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

cessna170bdriver wrote:
170C wrote:My rear headphone wiring goes down under the floor. It was easy to route the wiring that way.

Thank you Frank, my jacks were vertical in the surface of the shelf, but since I have a baggage door I can't install the shelf at all. I'll check for a place on that bulkhead. I'm sure something will pop up; I know I cant be the first person with a 170 with a 4-place intercom and no hat shelf. :)
http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/Showb ... 2.jpg.html
http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/Showb ... 3.jpg.html
170C

Post by 170C »

Miles, my jacks are mounted in the same location as David's, but his are MUCH nicer than mine :oops: I wasn't aware that installing a baggage door required the removal of the hat shelf. Is this always the case or just in yours Miles?
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
cessna170bdriver

170C wrote:Miles, my jacks are mounted in the same location as David's, but his are MUCH nicer than mine :oops: I wasn't aware that installing a baggage door required the removal of the hat shelf. Is this always the case or just in yours Miles?
I don't know for sure, but I suspect that is always the case. The top of the baggage door is higher than the hat shelf. If anyone with a baggage door had installed the hat shelf, I'd like to how it was done.
Miles

— Thomas Browne
flyingredyeti

Post by flyingredyeti »

gahorn wrote:I have enjoyed the PSEngineering 1000 for a dozen years, but there are some newer units that incorporate Bluetooth and other features you might wish to consider with cordless headsets etc.
I looked at this unit online. It's twice as much new as the Sigtronics, although buying it used takes a chunk out of the cost. Also, the PSEngineering has an isolate feature- as I've twin 5-year olds that like the sound of their voice in the mic, this feature is often a necessity. Think: "wah wah woo ahh woo wah eeee boooo . . ." in your ears while you are dialing in ATIS. . I don't see the need for bluetooth, or wireless headsets for that matter- I like simplicity. However, the music function on the 1000 may be nice one day.