Intercom suggestions

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

flyboy122

Re: Intercom suggestions

Post by flyboy122 »

flyingredyeti wrote:
I looked at this unit online. It's twice as much new as the Sigtronics, although buying it used takes a chunk out of the cost. Also, the PSEngineering has an isolate feature- as I've twin 5-year olds that like the sound of their voice in the mic, this feature is often a necessity. Think: "wah wah woo ahh woo wah eeee boooo . . ." in your ears while you are dialing in ATIS. . I don't see the need for bluetooth, or wireless headsets for that matter- I like simplicity. However, the music function on the 1000 may be nice one day.
I have a 2 and a 4 year old, and the "pilot isolate" switch on my PM6000 has been a Godsend! ATC is really hard to hear when your kid is belting out songs from Frozen at the top of her lungs.

DEM
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

cessna170bdriver wrote:
170C wrote:Miles, my jacks are mounted in the same location as David's, but his are MUCH nicer than mine :oops: I wasn't aware that installing a baggage door required the removal of the hat shelf. Is this always the case or just in yours Miles?
I don't know for sure, but I suspect that is always the case. The top of the baggage door is higher than the hat shelf. If anyone with a baggage door had installed the hat shelf, I'd like to how it was done.

When I installed my baggage door some thirty years ago, I just moved the shelf up 2 inches and reinstalled. Was no problem. Also have to modify the rear cover with a two inch extension.

I think I have shown it before , but I installed the rear sear jacks on the rear of the tunnel just back of the fuel valve.( on the slanted section).
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

The Sigtronics unit also has the isolate function. You can select all positions, pilot-co-pilot, or just pilot. You can also have separate music inputs for front and rear passengers.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

My girls were 3-1/2 years old and 6 mos. old when they started flying with me. My intercom didn't have an isolate feature, so I simply put a double pole switch in series with the two rear seat microphones. When the singing, talking, crying, etc. got to be too much, I simply flipped the switch. They went on many long cross countries with me, with and without their mom, and we all survived with out sanity pretty much intact.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne