Lady legs basis for approval?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

KG

Lady legs basis for approval?

Post by KG »

What is the basis of approval for replacing early 170B landing gear legs with later model "lady legs"? Since they are both Cessna parts designed for the 170, is it a simple logbook entry? Or is it more complicated than that?
Last edited by KG on Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
53 170B
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Lady legs basis for approval?

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

The fact is it has not been made more complicated than that by most people doing the installation. Does not mean it can not be made more complicated.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
KG

Post by KG »

Thanks Bruce. I have purchased a pair... hope to have them in hand in a few days.... and I just wanted to have some knowledge before I wander into the mechanic's shop with them under my arm. My preferred mechanic is too busy to install them right now and my local guy has never replaced a set of Cessna gear legs. I hope to minimize paying his shop rate for him to research it. Any guidance I can give him will help.
53 170B
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

aren't 170b gear the same as Lady legs?
KG

Post by KG »

swixtt wrote:aren't 170b gear the same as Lady legs?
Well... sorta.. I have the early 1953 170B gear (soft and squishy, interchangeable between left and right)... "lady legs" started in mid-53 and are stiffer and are not interchangeable side to side.

I have one friend who says don't change them as the soft gear absorbs shocks and another who says change them as the soft gear will bounce you back into the air too easily.

Personal preference I guess..... I'm probably going to fly my plane back to Alaska this summer and I don't want my buddies going places without me.. so I'm making the change.
53 170B
48RagwingPilot

Post by 48RagwingPilot »

FWIW, using the uncomplicated method I installed them in my '48 and would never change back.
Bruce Fenstermacher

No words of wisdom. They are listed parts for 25612 and on. He either sees it as a minor alteration to install the part for later serial numbers or he doesn't.

lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:No words of wisdom. They are listed parts for 25612 and on. He either sees it as a minor alteration to install the part for later serial numbers or he doesn't.
How about "superseded" part number? :wink:
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
Bruce Fenstermacher

lowNslow wrote:
Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:No words of wisdom. They are listed parts for 25612 and on. He either sees it as a minor alteration to install the part for later serial numbers or he doesn't.
How about "superseded" part number? :wink:
Yes Karl, that could be a way to justify it in someones mind. I did do a simple search on the original gear number to see if I could find any evidence of the original superseding to the later, but found none. But if you look around at the IPC enough you might see other parts that are superseded and it says so. Usually says something like use this part until exhausted or replaces ## when exhausted. The new style gear listing don't say this. Of course I look at a lot of IPCs often, maybe the 170B IPC actually doesn't have an example of which I subscribe, but others do.