Generator question and challenges

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Generator question and challenges

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

All you need to do is switch your order to the 35 amp version.

The generator, when it arrives, will need to have the gear from you old one, installed on it. Pretty straight forward. Shouldn't be a problem. Then, as you are replacing one part for another there should be no problem bolting it right on.

The gasket is a one piece gasket. It goes behind the generator AND the tack drive. MANY people try to save time buy NOT removing the tack drive. In order to do this they have to take the one piece gasket and cut it into two. This WILL NOT WORK. You're lucky to NOT have a leak cutting the gasket. The tack drive removal is simple 3 nuts.
Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 5.30.25 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 5.30.25 AM.png (52.39 KiB) Viewed 4428 times
I suggest since your going to remove the tach drive, you replace the seal in it. Cont part 640087 sea, tach drive housing.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Re: Generator question and challenges

Post by GAHorn »

NIck, you did not specify what caused the failure of your existing generator.

How did you determine that was the problem? Did you assure yourself that it did not simply require polarizing? (which you can do yourself?)

Do you have a copy of the Electrical Systems Service Manual this Association offers free to Members? It discusses generator diagnosis, testing, and replacement in detail.

If you PM me I can send you the pertinent section.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)