Battery stuck in box, suggestions....

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

oldtrucksrule

Battery stuck in box, suggestions....

Post by oldtrucksrule »

Hello all,

I have a 1948 170. It is the airplane I learned to fly in. My dad bought it to teach me and my brother how to fly. I've inherited it and have begun to make it airworthy again. It has sat for 7 years or so in a hangar at my family's airport (dry west Texas). I pulled the motor (c-145) to have a friend who is in the engine rebuilding business go through it before I move forward.

Anyhow, long story short, the inside of the battery box was coated by our mechanic many years ago with a grey rubberish coating. Now, the battery is completely stuck in the battery box. I've tried to slide a thin blade between the box and battery to free it up but, no luck.

My question: Does anyone have a recommendation on a substance that will loosen the grey stuff without eating at the battery box? Or any other suggestions for removal?

I'll formally introduce myself soon and include a few pictures.
bagarre

Re: Battery stuck in box, suggestions....

Post by bagarre »

You could plug the drain hole and pour some MEK in there to soften things up.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

The battery fits tight even with nothing sticking to it. Doesn't take much stick to make it nearly impossible to get out. Gray rubber stuff might be Pro Seal but then it could be anything.

I would use a heat gun and worm up the entire battery box. That and the thin blades.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
oldtrucksrule

Post by oldtrucksrule »

Thanks for the ideas. I'll try both of these ideas and report back. I had also toyed with the idea of removing the box and replacing it with the Altee Dodge box with the Odyssey battery but, not sure if I want to go through the trouble as now I just want to get it flying again and work on the sundries later.
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

We had a battery that was in a very tight fitting box and had been there about 15 years [hangar queen]. The battery was completely without charge and the remaining acid was removed with suction pump and plastic hose . The whole area was flooded with water to remove any trace of acid . Bi -carb of soda with water was also flooded the area. Then 2 big coach screws [about 3 ins long ] were then screwed into the top of the battery to allow a piece of steel fashioned into a handle so there was something to grab. WD 40 was then flooded the area and allowed to soak over the week end . At the bottom of the battery box there was a 3/8 drain hole and shop air was pumped into with a dusting gun with the nozzle removed .with someone giving it help from the handle on top and air pressure it moved enough to drive screw drivers into the side of the case to allow movement and finally a release . Battery box was reclaimable .
[ they tried to clamp a handle to the 2 terminals but one started to rip out of the battery ]

Please wear eye protection or a clear face shield and rubber gloves .
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I have reservations about using MEK in that fashion. It's highly flammable, and a spark or other mishap could cost you the entire airplane. Or worse.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
BeeMan

Post by BeeMan »

I have a battery box (sans lid) that might help you out of your predicament. Send me a PM if interested and I will try to reply with a photo. As I recall it came out of a '63 C172; I've not checked part numbers but believe it to be same as 170.
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

My suggestion is to place a very small electric heater at bottom of battery box about 6 inches below.

Practice safety with acid and electrical sparks. We are talking hydrogen explosion!

Patiently wait many heating hours before trying to extricate.

Am I correct in understanding that sticky goo is on bottom of battery case AND along the sides of battery?

Two person operation.

An inexpensive tool to use along inside of case is to go grocery shopping in kitchen accessory area. You want to purchase at least Two (2) cake icing spatulas. The blade is approximately 1.75 inches wide and 10 inches long. So
superior in action as compared to the normal putty knife in most tool boxes.

After case is heated have one person work both sides of case with the two spatulas simultaneously, While partner pulls up battery removal strap.

Decades ago I remember spending an entire day on reconditioning a C170B battery box. All for the love of aviation.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Why go grocery shopping for 2 spaturlars when your wife will have them in her kitchen . When finished just clean them and put them back . :lol: :lol:
oldtrucksrule

Post by oldtrucksrule »

I believe the heat gun and spatula will be used for the next step in removal. My wife may frown upon the use of her tools in the hangar so, I may be inclined to buy some tools of my own at Walmart. I never miss an opportunity to buy new tools :)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I have found this set of hard plastic scrapers to useful in many tasks.
Item95832HF.jpg
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-no ... 95832.html
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)