53C corrosion control

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

VernH

53C corrosion control

Post by VernH »

I have the tail feathers off of 53C, stripping the old paint to clean up the corrosion under what was left of the paint. In the areas where the paint was lifting there was oxidation which is cleaning up pretty well with scotch bright pads. I am planning on washing the panels with soap and water and then acid wash to remove the rest of any residue. Would you anodize the effected areas and then prime or use a self etching primer? Other options?

Thanks
Fly safe!

Vern
1950 C-170A N5453C sn 19487
Based in Pensacola, FL. 82J
Dennis

Re: 53C corrosion control

Post by Dennis »

Alodine 1201, then Alumaprep, a 2 part epoxy primer and colour of your choice at your local paint shop. Cessna is a great place for aluminum, preparation and paint requirements. Your A&P can help with painting and balance check of your control surfaces and make the appropriate log entries.
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Dennis wrote:Alodine 1201, then Alumaprep, a 2 part epoxy primer and colour of your choice at your local paint shop. Cessna is a great place for aluminum, preparation and paint requirements. Your A&P can help with painting and balance check of your control surfaces and make the appropriate log entries.
Dont you Alumaprep first and then alodine? The prep is phosphoric acid to clean the metal and the alodine is a chromate conversion to passivate it.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

bagarre wrote:
Dennis wrote:Alodine 1201, then Alumaprep, a 2 part epoxy primer and colour of your choice at your local paint shop. Cessna is a great place for aluminum, preparation and paint requirements. Your A&P can help with painting and balance check of your control surfaces and make the appropriate log entries.
Dont you Alumaprep first and then alodine? The prep is phosphoric acid to clean the metal and the alodine is a chromate conversion to passivate it.
Correct David, alumiprep, Alodine, primer in that order.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
VernH

Post by VernH »

Thanks guys. Awesome as usual!
Fly safe!

Vern
1950 C-170A N5453C sn 19487
Based in Pensacola, FL. 82J