Door locks?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

n2582d

Re: Door locks?

Post by n2582d »

p/n 0413231
p/n 0413231
This photo is from the one for sale online. If I was shopping for one I'd call KRN or Faeth Aircraft asking for p/n 0413323-1 - the assembly of lock and cam. Shoot them a photo of the backside of the lock so they can confirm the right style lock. Here's a picture of Faeth's door stock.
Faeth Aircraft doors
Faeth Aircraft doors
I'd be amazed if they don't have your style lock. Heck, you could probably send them a copy of your key and they could find a lock to match. Otherwise follow Bruce's instructions in his earlier post. It's echoed in SL 65-3.
Gary
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Thanks all for the information, ideas, and suggestions! The lock I have still works, sort of. I've got the door apart for latch repair, and thought I'd just put a new lock in while I was at it. I'll probably reinstall the existing lock while I research options on a new one. I'd hate to have the airplane down for something silly like a door lock during good flying weather.

I'll contact Faeth and widen my search of locksmiths. I'll report back.

Thanks!

Follow up:
KRN has new surplus stock on the lock assembly for $138. Faeth has salvage locks for $25.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Unable to find a replacement lock cylinder, and unwilling to either reinstall my existing one or take a chance on salvage, I bought a new surplus 0413323-1 lock assembly from KRN. And for your viewing pleasure, here it is. ILCO, made in Fitchburg, Massachusetts. For anyone who nostalgically remembers the "good old days" when things were manufactured with real quality, well, get over it. The thing is poorly made, pretty much what I remember everything was like in the 1960s. The nut wouldn't run onto the threads without a lot of cleaning up with an X-Acto knife. Compare it to the lock I bought at Ace Hardware. Also, the cam is nominally the same as the existing one, but not quite as tall and the bevel is cut differently. I'll take modern manufacturing, thanks.

By the way, I recommend KRN. They have a decent web site, and though you can't order from it, ordering over the phone was easy.
Doorlock2_reduced.jpg
Doorlock1_reduced.jpg
DoorLockFromAce_reduced.jpg