skis on

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dogone

skis on

Post by dogone »

After a year long ordeal my skis are on. Federal hydraulic wheel skis on my 180 hp 170. The set was not complete firstly ; then mechanic did not have time to install. But yesterday I made my first landings on these skis. Skis pumped up and down and tracked straight. Good landings on a frozen lake with very little snow but all went well. Heading 300 miles north next week where there is lots of snow and fish.
All my other ski experience has been on snow so I was surprised by the noise of skis on bare ice and lumps. They seemed to knock 5 mph off cruise but a longer trip will tell.
cfzxo

Re: skis on

Post by cfzxo »

One year is not bad, I fiddled around for about 4 years getting mine approved for the 170. between the owner of the company , his lack of operating capital, etc. I finally got a one time STC for my 170B 180hp. with a lot of help from Transport Canada. He has since sold Kelher Ski to PK floats out in Maine somewhere, hopefully they are better organized than the previous owner. I got to build them myself when I was helping him out getting his business going.They work well and are idiot proof, if something was to fail in the hydraulics they would simply be penetration skis. There is just a small amount of tire below the skis that if landed on solid runway it is not noticable, don't ask how I know that :oops: We have not had any snow here in Northern BC until just the past few days, but lots of cold so the lakes are frozen, makes landing on skis interesting. Yes they do slow the bird down.
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

I am jealous guys. sounds like it is quite the ordeal to get them installed.

i'm holding out for straights in the Aeroski flavour.
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

swixtt wrote:
i'm holding out for straights in the Aeroski flavour.

I have a set of straight Aeroskis that I would be willing to give up if I could get a set of retractable skis.

DEM
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

Keep me in mind if you do find some Flyboy. what type are you after?
i assume you are using M3000's now?
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

swixtt wrote:Keep me in mind if you do find some Flyboy. what type are you after?
i assume you are using M3000's now?
I'm looking for any retractables with an STC. Fixer uppers are fine. I fly on skis about 5 hours every other year, so not worth a large investment on my part.

My straight skis are 2000's I think. They came with a PA12 I had and I kept them on for the 170 but never installed them. According to Aeroski they are certified for the 170.

DEM