Cigarette lighter stud socket

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

brianm

Cigarette lighter stud socket

Post by brianm »

Does anybody know where to find the stud socket for the factory cigarette lighter?
2017-03-05 14.53.03.jpg
Brian M
N2669V - '48
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Cigarette lighter stud socket

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

And what's wrong with that one?

These are old auto parts. This is a clue. Look in old auto parts stores.

New sockets are available with plugs. I wouldn't necessarily use this one without seeing its quality first hand but a quick search found this:

http://www.autozone.com/lighters/cigare ... 439352_0_0
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
brianm

Post by brianm »

The socket itself is fine but it's crimped on the wire. I haven't had the chance to try it, but I don't think I'd want to try to open up the crimp and re use it.
Brian M
N2669V - '48
bsdunek

Post by bsdunek »

Good old J.C. Whitney has the whole thing. Check their FAA/PMA section.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/garage-pro-cig ... 85712.jcwx

Don't forget to have a fuse or breaker in the line - that's why they were disconnected so many moons ago.
Bruce
1950 170A N5559C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

A common ring-terminal might work fine.

An oft overlooked source for such things are marine stores. Marine equipment is usually a higher quality than automotive, especially when considering the wet environment and vibration involved. Stainless steel receptacles are also more common. (Remove the mounting plate on the one below.)

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/seafit-- ... ecordNum=6
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Well, if you're supposed to learn something every day, my day has been a success. I've never seen one of these before. Mine has a ring terminal, brass nut and lockwasher. It's been that way since I've had the airplane.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

We have a Member here in Texas who went a loooong way to be "correct"... when he spent $hundred$ to buy the official part with a Cessna picking-tag when his IA insisted on it while making a replacement/new-install.

Don't do that! It's a common automotive part...but do install it using aircraft electrical connections and wiring, and a dedicated fuse/cb per the AD note.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Yep, got my replacement at AutoZone, $5.00. Fit perfectly, looks just like the original and and had push on blade connectors rather then the solder type of the original.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
brianm

Post by brianm »

I've made a bunch of phone calls and Google searches and I can't find anybody who has ever even seen one of these connectors before. I have verified that the threads are #8-32. I think a bent #8 ring terminal with a lock nut will work just fine. I would replace the whole lighter but it is in great shape other than the original 1948 wire finally giving out. And have no fear, there is already an inline fuse installed.
Brian M
N2669V - '48
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Brian, I think your plan has great merit. :wink:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Brian, Threading one half of a seamless butt splice like this might work depending on the diameter of the connector. Way too much trouble for what a ring terminal would do. My only concern with an insulated ring terminal and/or elastic lock nut is that -- when you're getting ready to light up your Cuban -- the nylon in those parts might start to melt. The brass nut and lock washer as Miles suggested or a steel locknut might be the safer alternative. If you're only using the lighter outlet for a power supply heat there won't be an issue. ... But what kid doesn't like to push those lighters in?
Gary
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

n2582d wrote: ... But what kid doesn't like to push those lighters in?
I leave a dual USB power converter plugged in there to keep the iPad(s) charged. I keep the lighter insert in the glove box just so I'll know where it is when I pass the airplane on to the next caretaker. There will be no smoke intentionally generated in the airplane. If there's smoke in the cockpit, it's troubleshooting time. :o
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
brianm

Post by brianm »

Resurrecting this old thread. The repair I discussed above worked just fine, but after 4 years and nearly 300 flying hours the fit of my USB charger in the socket loosened up and there was also some light internal corrosion that was causing power to become intermittent. Part #05410-8 from the aviation section of AutoZone is an exact replacement. It has a copper tab for a spade connector on the threaded stud that can be removed if you prefer to make the connection with a nut and lock washer.
Brian M
N2669V - '48