Blew a fuse

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

VernH

Blew a fuse

Post by VernH »

I need to replace a fuse. Mine are the AGS type. I am finding they aren't readily available. Short of installing CB's, what are you guys using? Is the AGS available somewhere?

Thanks
Fly safe!

Vern
1950 C-170A N5453C sn 19487
Based in Pensacola, FL. 82J
pdb

Re: Blew a fuse

Post by pdb »

Vern,

In the desperate men do desperate things category, I have heard an old wives tale, not yet tested, that if you break the glass out of the ends of an AGS fuse...and insert an AGC fuse into the empty, metal end-pieces of the original AGS fuse, the new combination should fit into your old fuse AGS fuse holder. Try it and let us know if it works.

They also appear in eBay from time to time and are sold here:

http://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/Produc ... mber=AGS-1

Don't throw any of your old burned out AGS fuses away just yet.
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

You can't get them at Walmart it is true but you can get them. Do a Google search on "AGS fuse" and many sources such as Grainger, Mouser, Newark as well as Spruce and Univair appear.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
VernH

Post by VernH »

pdb wrote:Vern,

In the desperate men do desperate things category, I have heard an old wives tale, not yet tested, that if you break the glass out of the ends of an AGS fuse...and insert an AGC fuse into the empty, metal end-pieces of the original AGS fuse, the new combination should fit into your old fuse AGS fuse holder. Try it and let us know if it works.

They also appear in eBay from time to time and are sold here:

http://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/Produc ... mber=AGS-1

Don't throw any of your old burned out AGS fuses away just yet.
Hmmmm, that would explain what I found in one of the holders. 8O I did find them at Macfarlane and ordered some. OUCH!! UNivair and Spruce only list AGC.

Thanks
Fly safe!

Vern
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

VernH

Post by VernH »

DaveF wrote:https://www.flippers.com/pdfs/Buss_Fuse ... og_569.pdf
https://www.flippers.com/pdfs/Electroso ... e_Info.pdf

The world won't end if you use an AGC fuse instead of an AGS.
The AGC fuses are a smaller diameter. They don't make good contact in the holder.
Fly safe!

Vern
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The McFarland prices are about $5 ea, except I notice the 35A version is only $7.50 for a pkg of 5.

<sarcasm ON>
I suggest you whiners man-up and buy the correct fuses from McFarland or recognize you might spend a fortune and convert to C.B./s. Since when did you find another genuine aircraft part of such importance for $5 or less?
<sarcasm temporarily OFF>

:lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
VernH

Post by VernH »

gahorn wrote:The McFarland prices are about $5 ea, except I notice the 35A version is only $7.50 for a pkg of 5.

<sarcasm ON>
I suggest you whiners man-up and buy the correct fuses from McFarland or recognize you might spend a fortune and convert to C.B./s. Since when did you find another genuine aircraft part of such importance for $5 or less?
<sarcasm temporarily OFF>

:lol:
Should be here today! :D
Fly safe!

Vern
falco

Post by falco »

if your'e burnin a lot of cash buying these fuses you should probably fix the offending circuit :wink:
bsdunek

Post by bsdunek »

falco wrote:if your'e burnin a lot of cash buying these fuses you should probably fix the offending circuit :wink:
Just put in a bigger fuse! (tongue in cheek)
Bruce
1950 170A N5559C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

bsdunek wrote:
falco wrote:if your'e burnin a lot of cash buying these fuses you should probably fix the offending circuit :wink:
Just put in a bigger fuse! (tongue in cheek)
Wrapping the blown-fuse in aluminum foil and re-installing it also works....... :twisted:

{I wonder.... do I really need to post a disclaimer...??? }
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

I was out of town and didn't have access to my computer when this thread was originally posted. So I couldn't post this info at the time. Although many of you may know this info already, I haven't seen all of it on the forum, and didn't know it (especially the interchangeability of AGS and 4AG fuses) until I researched it a couple of years ago when I was looking for fuses for my plane. It may be useful to someone who runs across this thread in the future. I copied and pasted it from notes I made at the time:

The stock/original fuse size for the C-170B is AGS (or 4AG). AGS and 4AG fuses have a slightly larger diameter (9/32” vs ¼”) than the currently common AGC fuses. AGS and 4AG fuses are interchangeable. 4AG and AGS fuses were manufactured by Bussmann (4AG fuses were superseded by AGS). 4AG fuses were also manufactured by Littelfuse. But AGS/4AG fuses are no longer manufactured by either company (e.g. AGS fuses were discontinued by Bussmann in 2005). 4AG fuses should be Series 411, not any Slo-Blow series (e.g. Series 412 or 413).

By the way, there are a lot of NOS AGS and 4AG fuses for sale on that well-known internet auction site for significantly less than offered by McFarlane and others. I bought a lifetime's-worth of NOS for my plane in the various sizes two years ago for reasonable amounts.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
ineedabrew1

Post by ineedabrew1 »

I thought I would pass this along. I came across this old thread and called Hill Aircraft (https://www.cessnaparts.com). He said they no longer have any AGS fuses in stock. And incidentally, Cessna simply replaced the AGS fuse with a AGC still under the same part number S1091-?? People were sending back the "AGS" fuses they ordered because they didn't fit. What the??? It's a real bummer as I am a stone's throw away from Hill Aircraft. Do I understand that AGS and 4AG fuses are the same physical size just from different manufacturers but, both not in productiona anymore? If so, at least I can hunt down some 4AG fuses as well.

Thanks all....
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Every reference I see has 4AG and AGS as being the same. I have a limited but extra supply of 4AG and could sell a few if you get stuck.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
N2625U

Post by N2625U »

I've also got a supply I ordered when I got my plane 15 years ago. I'll see if I can find them and see what amps they are.
Keep your speed up, Blackhawk on final behind you.