C of A

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

VernH

C of A

Post by VernH »

I was taking the headliner out of 53C today and removed the bulkhead above the shelf where the registration was located. Behind the registration was the C of A dated 1956. The exposed edge was dust. I cut the pouch open and removed it but it's in bad shape. The important info is legible. Can this be carefully copied and used or do I need to request another one from the feds?
Fly safe!

Vern
1950 C-170A N5453C sn 19487
Based in Pensacola, FL. 82J
nippaero

Re: C of A

Post by nippaero »

Hi Vern,
If it's still legible then it's probably ok. A quick search returned the following.

How do I replace my lost or worn out Certificate of Airworthiness?
Your local Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) processes replacement airworthiness certificates.

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificat ... craft_faq/
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Vern,

You can not use a copy. Only an original.

In order to get a new one from the feds you will have to surrender the old one. I would never do this by mail. I would call your local FSDO. Tell them you'd like to get a new C&A to replace the old one. Tell them you want to come to the FSDO in person as you don't trust the post office with this important document.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
VernH

Post by VernH »

Thanks guys. I'll get in touch with the FSDO and see what they need.
Fly safe!

Vern
1950 C-170A N5453C sn 19487
Based in Pensacola, FL. 82J
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:Vern,

You can not use a copy. Only an original.

In order to get a new one from the feds you will have to surrender the old one. I would never do this by mail. I would call your local FSDO. Tell them you'd like to get a new C&A to replace the old one. Tell them you want to come to the FSDO in person as you don't trust the post office with this important document.
Bruce has supplied EXACTLY how to accomplish Cert. of Airworthiness replacement. Don't be surprised if they require you to bring your Registration Cert, along with your maintenance records of the last annual inspection.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)