The best fuel leak to have

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ghostflyer

The best fuel leak to have

Post by ghostflyer »

We have owners of all aircraft types come into our shop with problems that is "normal" but we sometimes get ones that aren't that so "normal". We did a job on a aircraft that entailed the removal of fuel tanks for a check on the spar And a possible repair . Every thing put back together and 3 months later phone call complaining of a strong fuel smell in the cabin . 2 of our guys flew out to this guys property [117 miles away] to find this fuel leak . We didn't want him flying this aircraft with a fuel leak especially in the cabin . Cabin liner was removed partly ,to check for stains or leak [the owner had left the doors open to vent the aircraft ]. No stains or leaks any where . Aircraft rocked back and forth amd taxied around . Nothing then lunch time . aircraft doors were closed over lunch and when the guys opened the aircraft after sitting in the hot sun and there was a smell. The smell was traced to the rear back seat area. There was this plastic shopping bag with oranges in it and they had been in a rotting state for some time . When asked about the bag the owner said " that's my wife's bag she takes that when we go flying together . " wife piped up " that's mine I wondered where that went ''. So 2 workers time for a day plus travelling out to his property total cost $1200 . The owner paid the bill .
GAHorn

Re: The best fuel leak to have

Post by GAHorn »

Orange you glad it wasn't your bill to pay? :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)