Blue Sky door latch

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

SKilbourn

Blue Sky door latch

Post by SKilbourn »

Has anyone used the Blue Sky door latch (to hold the door open). The spring latch on our 170 has broken the sheet metal at the door and before I do the repair and duplicate the original I'm wondering if anyone has any better ideas. I'm thinking I could get a field approval on the Blue Sky fix.

Thanks,
Stuart Kilbourn
N6303D 1948 C170 S/N 18015
SKilbourn

Re: Blue Sky door latch

Post by SKilbourn »

I don't disagree, but choking on the cost of them right now.
Stuart Kilbourn
170C

Post by 170C »

The owner of Door Steward, David Paradis, is the owner of a C-170 as well as a member of TIC170A. I met him last year at Sun N Fun and he donated a set of his door stewards to the association to be auctioned at the Columbus, IN convention.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

It really should be a minor alteration. There is no need for an STC to drill a few 1/8th in holes for a few pop rivets.
The parts are readily available for $10 or $15 bucks :(
SKilbourn

Post by SKilbourn »

I'm thinking it's a minor alteration also, but my IA disagrees. I do need to repair the door as the original spring setup has actually broken and cracked the door. Seems like the Blue Sky arrangement would distribute the strain and probably last longer than putting the spring back in.

Thanks for all of the input. I'm afraid that the two options are the original or the door steward. It's too bad that such a simple, effective alternative can't be used.
Stuart Kilbourn
bensmotorworks

Post by bensmotorworks »

I have installed several of the mountain veiew kits. They are pricy for what they are but are so nice!
Sorry for the side track.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

SKilbourn wrote:I'm thinking it's a minor alteration also, but my IA disagrees. I do need to repair the door as the original spring setup has actually broken and cracked the door. Seems like the Blue Sky arrangement would distribute the strain and probably last longer than putting the spring back in.

Thanks for all of the input. I'm afraid that the two options are the original or the door steward. It's too bad that such a simple, effective alternative can't be used.
Ask your IA to explain the differences between "major" and "minor" alterations to you. (See FAR Pt 43, Appdx A)

Major alterations are described in detail there. (Cabin door stop and a hole in the cabin door with a tinnerman nut seem to be missing from the description.) All others are minor, requiring only a logbook entry.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SI ... a&rgn=div9
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)