Floor Carpet Install

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ghostflyer

Re: Floor Carpet Install

Post by ghostflyer »

Having a boot on the flap handle is a very good idea. I had a a pen(biro) fall down and jam the flap handle on a landing approach . I made up a rubber blades that allow the handle to slide up and down . Believe it or not , not too longer after fitting the rubber blades and receiving some redicule from a " friend " it happened again but was held in place by the blades . So dirt and lolly wrappers and "pens " can find their way into this space.
GAHorn

Re: Floor Carpet Install

Post by GAHorn »

ghostflyer wrote:Having a boot on the flap handle is a very good idea. I had a a pen(biro) fall down and jam the flap handle on a landing approach . I made up a rubber blades that allow the handle to slide up and down . Believe it or not , not too longer after fitting the rubber blades and receiving some redicule from a " friend " it happened again but was held in place by the blades . So dirt and lolly wrappers and "pens " can find their way into this space.
AMEN! Jamie and I were on the way to Bardstown convention and while I was flying she was reading. Suddenly she pulled out a big can of Planters Mixed Nuts and pulled the tab to open them up, and I scolder her...."Hey. NO EATING in the airplane!" (It's been my policy in order to avoid food scraps that attract rodents when stored in a hangar.)

"I promise I'll be careful", she replied.

I scowled.

She smiled.

I relaxed.

The airplane bumped in mild turbulence.

The can of Mixed Nuts turned upside down and dumped a large handful of nuts right down into the tunnel beneath the floor, entering thru the flap-handle hole.

Next stop was Mena, AR for a B&B layover and a minor MX visit to Del's shop.
Del had a local shop mfr a leather "boot" for the base of my flap handle.
Now no food can slip down beneath the floorboards.....because I don't allow eating in the airplane.

But loose screws, etc. also don't get down there. 8)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)