Floor Carpet Install

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

Floor Carpet Install

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Purchased new carpet set floor of C170B. AIRTEX since 1949.

Plan on using velcro for flat floor.

Have questions about install new carpet to the Tunnell (flaps handle, elavator control) area.

This seems to call for some type of adhesive in a tube.

What is the preferred method and adhesive from the forum?

Seem to remember name 3M

Regards
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
nippaero

Re: Floor Carpet Install

Post by nippaero »

I purchased the glue for mine from Airtex.
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

After the pain and misery of removing glue from the tunnel, I will never put glue back down.

In 81D, I stitched in a few pieces of velcro to hold the flap tunnel down.

I just don't fly the 170 up side down enough for it to be an issue.
170C

Post by 170C »

My 2 cents worth--you will likely want something to hold the floor carpet in place so it doesn't tend to push forward as folks push the seats back. Velcro has worked well for me since 1989. Some folks use a few screws in strategic locations, but remember they have to come out at least once a year and sooner or later the holes will enlarge requiring new ones. On the tunnel, you won't normally have to remove that carpet very often. Again, I have used spray adhesive with success and I have removed mine many times for inspections (something you likely won't need to do on your 170). Best thing is it holds the carpet snug. If I remember, Airtex has a pad were your heels rest that prevents wear on the carpet. If not I would have a local shop sew one in on each side.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Or go a completely different route...
IMG_3667.jpg
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

As Frank pointed out you will likely want at least 2 screws holding the carpet from sliding to the rear. Do these screw holes get enlarged. Yes they can. Put if your careful removing and installing them, the won't

The glue in the tube is likely a 3M product. As stated by others, I wouldn't use it if I ever choose to replace my original 1949 carpet on the tunnel. I'd is carpet tape.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:As Frank pointed out you will likely want at least 2 screws holding the carpet from sliding to the rear.
To clarify, as Aryana points out most carpet won't creep forward. But if you are sitting in the seat and use your legs to pull you forward your feet will just slide the carpet back. I put 2 screws, 1 each in the forward corners to prevent this.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

If hole enlargement are a concern, you can install tinnerman anchor nuts.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/h ... ckkey=5485
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I have an Airtex carpet with no fasteners and haven't experienced any carpet movement problems. Yes, it's possible to pull the carpet back from the pedals, but you have to try pretty hard to make it happen.

The carpet is glued to the tunnel, but the foam backing is crumbling, leaving the carpet loose and a bunch of black * stuck to the tunnel. No glue ever again.
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

bagarre wrote:Or go a completely different route...
IMG_3667.jpg
that is pretty cool!
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

swixtt wrote:
bagarre wrote:Or go a completely different route...
IMG_3667.jpg
that is pretty cool!
I can't take full credit. Someone on Back Country Pilot did it first. It's fleck stone paint. the sides are held on with a few tinnermans.
I'll make a leather boot for the flap handle.

Off the side panels, I'll have little L brackets to help hold down the flooring material (less PK screws in the floor)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Having a boot on the flap handle is a very good idea. I had a a pen(biro) fall down and jam the flap handle on a landing approach . I made up a rubber blades that allow the handle to slide up and down . Believe it or not , not too longer after fitting the rubber blades and receiving some redicule from a " friend " it happened again but was held in place by the blades . So dirt and lolly wrappers and "pens " can find their way into this space.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

ghostflyer wrote:Having a boot on the flap handle is a very good idea. I had a a pen(biro) fall down and jam the flap handle on a landing approach . I made up a rubber blades that allow the handle to slide up and down . Believe it or not , not too longer after fitting the rubber blades and receiving some redicule from a " friend " it happened again but was held in place by the blades . So dirt and lolly wrappers and "pens " can find their way into this space.
AMEN! Jamie and I were on the way to Bardstown convention and while I was flying she was reading. Suddenly she pulled out a big can of Planters Mixed Nuts and pulled the tab to open them up, and I scolder her...."Hey. NO EATING in the airplane!" (It's been my policy in order to avoid food scraps that attract rodents when stored in a hangar.)

"I promise I'll be careful", she replied.

I scowled.

She smiled.

I relaxed.

The airplane bumped in mild turbulence.

The can of Mixed Nuts turned upside down and dumped a large handful of nuts right down into the tunnel beneath the floor, entering thru the flap-handle hole.

Next stop was Mena, AR for a B&B layover and a minor MX visit to Del's shop.
Del had a local shop mfr a leather "boot" for the base of my flap handle.
Now no food can slip down beneath the floorboards.....because I don't allow eating in the airplane.

But loose screws, etc. also don't get down there. 8)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)