Separate Tail wheel Halves

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

hilltop170

Re: Separate Tail wheel Halves

Post by hilltop170 »

I have run across stuck wheel halves a couple of times, both times when a gasket has been used between the halves. I do not use a gasket in my tailwheels. One was on a new wheel that had the bolts tightened apparently before the paint fully cured on the wheel halves. When the wheels were finally separated, the gasket sheared in two requiring scraping the gasket off both halves with a putty knofe.

In both cases, nothing worked until the nuts were evenly backed-off a couple of turns and air pressure increased until the wheel halves popped apart. Then as Miles described, break the beads off the rims with a bench vise.
Last edited by hilltop170 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

cessna170bdriver wrote:I always used my bench vise to break the bead on the tailwheel tire. I don't recall ever having a problem separating the wheel halves.
That works, also a big "C" clamp.
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Breaking the tailwheel bead has never been a problem. It's the mains that I'd want the tool for.
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

DaveF wrote:Breaking the tailwheel bead has never been a problem. It's the mains that I'd want the tool for.
Big "C" clamp works for that also.
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I got tail wheel disassembled and new Tire/Tube installed.

Local auto tire Co carefully broke bead on their standard auto tire fixtures.

We learned from your post. Thank you.

The gasket has a potential function in preventing grease from being injected up against the butyl rubber TUBE.

Purchased a tool grade Reamer 46.00 $$ ouch. Don't you think a new 1/4 twist drill rotated by hand would work to clean out holes in the wheel halves.

New bolts - applied anti seize on the bolt shank - stop the dissimilar metals corrosion for next half century.

New grease on wheel bearings

Impressed with the tube from Desser Tire. Co. Butyl rubber. Very good tube.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Gun cleaning brushes work nicely in holes. Drills can inadvertently gouge and remove metal if you're not very careful.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

170C wrote: My tail wheel hasn't had a gasket in 27 yrs. don't remember ever seeing one.
Same here Frank. And I've never had the problem of un-mating the wheel halves. George's suggestion on inflating the tire/tube combo (after removing the bolts?) would best be done in some restraint (Longer bolts with nuts?). It wouldn't be fun to try to find one wheel half that shot into space when it finally separated without some method of restraint!
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

flyguy wrote:
170C wrote: My tail wheel hasn't had a gasket in 27 yrs. don't remember ever seeing one.
Same here Frank. And I've never had the problem of un-mating the wheel halves. George's suggestion on inflating the tire/tube combo (after removing the bolts?) would best be done in some restraint (Longer bolts with nuts?). It wouldn't be fun to try to find one wheel half that shot into space when it finally separated without some method of restraint!
George said to just LOOSEN the bolts, not remove them! Just backing off each nut a turn or two should be sufficient. Inflating the tire with the bolt removed, or removing the bolts before deflating the tire could very likely be the last mistake you ever make. 8O
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
170C

Post by 170C »

I splurged and got one of those gaskets ($8.15 incl shipping) from Spruce. Now I can be "official". That gasket would be easy to make.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

gfeher wrote:Thanks Dave. Post a pic or link to that wheel puller if you can. I'm always open to a good tip on a tool.
I finally made it to the hangar. Here's the HF wheel puller. It comes with those extra extensions, which I didn't need for the magneto gear. I don't remember how much it cost, but it was well within my frugal budget for a rarely-used tool.
IMG_0769.JPG
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

Got it. Thanks for the pic Dave. Much appreciated.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

170C wrote:I splurged and got one of those gaskets ($8.15 incl shipping) from Spruce. Now I can be "official". That gasket would be easy to make.
WHEW! Just in-time, Frank! The Gestapo had called me about you..... :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)