Gascolator Problem

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

canav8

Re: Gascolator Problem

Post by canav8 »

+1
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

installed and drip free now:) i also grabbed a few o-rings to see if i can create a spare 1550 for the next occurrence. also received a couple Drains for the tank as well.

got me thinking of replacing the glassbowl with a Steve's. when i read the cross-ref chart they show a 152 and the 180 running the larger SA3-10.http://www.stevesaircraft.com/amllist.php?make=Cessna
170b's show the SA3-00-B. is that right for the 152? just curious is all really. i am behind a 180hp and don't think mine have been changed to the larger lines(1/2")
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I have a "Steves gasalator"on my 180hp 170A and it's worked great. No issues what so ever . So easy to clean and drain . "Steves" is STC for our 170range .
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

thanks Ghost... using the SA3-00-B?
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

May seem like a silly question but the bolt holding tension on the bail so it doesn't move is safetied. The nut on the other side of this bolt goes up against the bottom of the glass bowl. What gong to keep that nut tight?
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

I believe the nut (fig. 63-52, p/n 0511199-66, Koehler p/n 2219A) is square and should be captive in the base of the arm assy.
IMG_0199.JPG
Gary
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

Yes. Exactly. Tight against the under side of the bowl or tight against the bolt on the base of the bail?
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

How can the nut be tight against the underside of the bowl? The bolt is not threaded into the arm/bail, it only threads into the nut. Tightening the bolt pushes the gascolator bottom up and the arm assembly down.
IMG_0216.JPG
Gary
b_raby

Post by b_raby »

Aryana, I was reading this thread and I was Ok with the posts until I read yours where you said you were using EZ Turn “Lubricant“ as a thread sealant. I went to Aircraft Spruce and looked up EZ Turn Lubricant. This was the description they gave for what the product was designed to be used for; “EZ Turn is a specialty lubricant/sealant used for fuel and oil line "valves" & is resistant to high temps. Especially effective where high octane fuels and aromatics are present. EZ Turn is also extremely efficient as a gasket paste & anti- seize agent. EZ Turn will not gum, crack or dry out. Each shipment is independently tested. Excellent for tapered plug valves, aircraft engine manufacturing, and marine applications. EZ Turn is the functional equivalent of fuel lube.” I went to another supplier and they had the same description, so that indicates this is the manufactures’ recommendations. A couple of things caught my eye; the name EZ Turn Lubricant, tells me it’s mainly a lubricant, where it says Lubricant/sealant, it also adds used for oil; line and “Fuel Valves", i.e. 170 fuel selector tapered plug valve! Note: it does not mention Thread Sealant, but does say it’s a good anti-seize agent. I would think you would not want it to be easy to move, rather use the correct sealant which would seal and act like a thread lock.

Byrd, IC170A #C-33
1954 Cessna/Avcon 170B
b_raby

Post by b_raby »

Arash, I’m not familiar with EZ Turn brand, I’m glad it works for you. My IA has always used Tite –Seal. After 35 yrs working with him during owner assisted annuals on; first a 1952 170B w/C145, then my current 1954 170B w/ Avcon180, I am very satisfied with Tite-Seal.

I will tell you, I think I’m getting close to needing an overhaul of my fuel selector valve and I will have no problem using EZ Turn as a “lubricant” for the valve, however if I have to remove any of the fittings, I will use Tite-Seal as a thread sealant!

Blue Sky’s!

Byrd
'54 170B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

EZ-Turn is DEFINITELY the stuff to you if rebuilding/repairing a tapered fuel valve.

"EZ Turn is a specialty lubricant/sealant used for fuel and oil line valves & is resistant to high temps. Especially effective where high octane fuels and aromatics are present. EZ Turn is also extremely efficient as a gasket paste & anti- seize agent. EZ Turn will not gum, crack or dry out. Each shipment is independently tested. Excellent for tapered plug valves, aircraft engine manufacturing, and marine applications. EZ Turn is the functional equivalent of fuel lube. 1 Lb. can "

The stuff is sticky-er than a nawlin's pick-pocket's fingers.\ (according to Ol'Gar.)

The 5 oz tube is more than the average guy will need in a lifetime. The 1 lb can will last longer than the pyramids.
Attachments
ezturnlube.jpg
ezturnlube.jpg (25.45 KiB) Viewed 16076 times
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)