Gascolator Problem

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

swixtt

Gascolator Problem

Post by swixtt »

It's been very cold up here lately and since we've had this cold weather I noticed a drip on my quickdrain on the gascolator. so i tried to get it to seat properly but in the end i had to remove it (the quickdrain) to inspect it. sure enough, bad gasket. so i borrowed another one (1550) from a local to try it out and it too leaked. anyway i have a new one on the way... will replace when it shows.
so the real problem now the gascolator only partially fills up when i turn on the fuel. why would the gascolator only partially fill, it never did this before? when i removed the old quickdrain, i had the fuel off of course.... and left it off for about a week while i sourced that borrowed one. if i hold that quickdrain open, fuel will pour out continuously but doesn't fill the gascolator up when i release the quickdrain. is there pressure inside it that won't allow it to fill?
any insight would be great!
Pdogace

Re: Gascolator Problem

Post by Pdogace »

I just replaced my quick drain last month with a new one because mine was leaking. My only thought is the one you borrowed might be bad too. When you get the new one buy some silicon thread lube to put on the threads and tighten down. My new one fixed my problem, the gascolator not filling up is a new one to me. Someone else will have to chime in with a solution for that one. Hope this helps a little.
Preston
1954 C170B "Sweet Caroline"
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

Air in the line between gascolator and carb, will fill up when you start engine.
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

@Ed, so you just stroll along and read this thread and boom, you alleviate my worries!
thank you
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Ed beat me to it.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
bsdunek

Post by bsdunek »

Beat me too! I like teflon tape to seal threads. Just don't get it inside as particles can float around and possibly cause carburetor problems.
Bruce
1950 170A N5559C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yes..beat me too.
Bruce B,.. don't ever use Teflon tape anywhere in the fuel system. Even if you think no particles got in there during installation, they can enter when the part is removed. (Permatex #2 is OK tho'.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

@gh, what about #3? I've been using this one.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Sure, or any good,non-hardening thread sealant which is gasoline proof.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

You bet... I think there was a bit of tape on the old QD threads when I removed it but will definitely be using some #3 whenever my new QD arrives! It has finally warmed a little so I won't freeze as fast putting it back together. I had to move the bail out of the way to remove the QD so it made me nervous being that cold tightening that back up.
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

gahorn wrote:Sure, or any good,non-hardening thread sealant which is gasoline proof.
To round out the list, Tite-Seal Medium is another good one you can use. But Permatex 2 and 3 are less expensive if you are buying new. On the other hand, a can of Tite-Seal will last forever. And because it's sticky, it's great for holding nuts and bolts on your wrench in hard to reach areas.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
canav8

Post by canav8 »

+1
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

installed and drip free now:) i also grabbed a few o-rings to see if i can create a spare 1550 for the next occurrence. also received a couple Drains for the tank as well.

got me thinking of replacing the glassbowl with a Steve's. when i read the cross-ref chart they show a 152 and the 180 running the larger SA3-10.http://www.stevesaircraft.com/amllist.php?make=Cessna
170b's show the SA3-00-B. is that right for the 152? just curious is all really. i am behind a 180hp and don't think mine have been changed to the larger lines(1/2")
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I have a "Steves gasalator"on my 180hp 170A and it's worked great. No issues what so ever . So easy to clean and drain . "Steves" is STC for our 170range .
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

thanks Ghost... using the SA3-00-B?