Tail wheel Tire / Tube

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

n2582d

Re: Tail wheel Tire / Tube

Post by n2582d »

MoonlightVFR wrote:... items 94 - 04420110-29 Tire should be corrected to 2.80 x 250 4 as IPC incorrectly list 8 x 3.00 . ...
Grady, The IPC is correct, it's just that 8 X 3.00 tires are no longer manufactured for aircraft. I have however found one for you if you hurry! :wink: Check out the tire here. Compare the tread design in the picture to the IPC illustration. This tire was manufactured by General Tire which is now Continental.
IMG_0180.JPG
IMG_0179.JPG
IMG_0182.JPG
Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The difference is only in nomenclature of tire sizing. The OLD system of outside diameter X Width.... versus the newer system of tread width and Inside diameter. Tread design may vary according to mfr'r as noted. Thanks for that archived pic. Fun to see.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I am posting this to add information to an earlier post I made regarding inner tube design, in which I pointed out that the Mil spec for inner tubes is now obsolete. This is still true.... but new information is: MIL-I-5014 is still obsolete... but military sourcing now mention that inner tubes should meet an SAE standard: SAE document AS 50141. Goodyear Tire and Rubber do not state their tubes meet the SAE standard...but still meet the Mil-spec. (I don't know how that could be since that is obsolete.)

I'm attempting to get that info (but it's elusive.) I'll post it when obtained.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Mschwarzkopf

Post by Mschwarzkopf »

I’m trying to figure out what tailwheel tire to replace my current tire with. Right now, it’s a tubeless Aero Classic 2.80/2.50-4 6 ply with sawtooth tread. I’m not able to find an exact replacement; the tire may be 15 years old.

Is there any advantage to tube vs tubeless? How about tread type (ribbed vs sawtooth?) My inclination is to go with a 4 ply with inner tube. Do the beads seal the same for tube and tubeless?

Thanks for your input,
Mike
Mike Schwarzkopf
'51 C170A - N1471D
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

This is what I recommend: https://shop.desser.com/Aircraft-Tires- ... -AD1A2.asp

Here’s a tube https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... orEALw_wcB

Here’s Spruce’s tire offering: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... tires3.php

Both of those above are aircraft suppliers. However the inner tube specification for aircraft tube is obsolete as mentioned in earlier posts so....

I have had excellent service from these bought at Northern Tool: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... _200514232

OR...you might try this and throw the wheel away: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... _200331227
Mschwarzkopf

Post by Mschwarzkopf »

That’s the way I was leaning, George. Just for my own benefit and understanding... tube vs tubeless? Interchangeable using the same wheel halves, right?

As always... thanks for your help!
Mike
Mike Schwarzkopf
'51 C170A - N1471D
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Personally, I prefer tube-type tires because I live on grass with “occasional mesquite” thorns and tubes are easy to repair and return to service... whereas some tubeless-tire leaks cannot. Also the wheel halves are their own source of leaks and tubes take care of that. (An example is a puncture on/near the sidewall ... which is almost a non-event on a tube type tire but will condemn a tubeless type.)
THEN...there are valve-stems... tubes already come equipped... but tubeless assy’s are another possible source of problems.

Wheels must be purpose-designed for tubeless tires, with gaskets or O’rings and sealed. (I’ve never tried a tubeless tailwheel.)

Tubes are just simpler for my mind to wrap-around.