ADS-B

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jrenwick

Re: ADS-B

Post by jrenwick »

A ground speed of 15 knots or greater for ten seconds triggers "Air Mode" in the Appareo ESG. They've thought about raising this threshold, but don't have any plans to do it at the present, according to Appareo Support. This failure is only a concern if you're trying to qualify for the FAA's $500 rebate; the FAA doesn't care about it otherwise. Appareo told me this:
There is one of two reasons [for the Air on Ground failure]. First way to fail it is if you are taxing faster than 15 knot for longer than 10 seconds. This will put the unit in Air mode even if you are on the ground so you needs to slow the taxi before takeoff and after landing. The second way and I think happened is once you started the plane and turn on the ESG let it get it's GPS position before you start to move about 2 minutes and start in STBY mode. After you get a Lat/Lon then press the ALT button just once and then you will see the display go to GND which means you are in ALT mode but on the ground. Now if the pilot presses the ALT button again it will ask you if you want to bypass Ground mode by hitting the FUNC button. If you press this then it puts you in the Air when your on the ground too! Don't do this or you wont pass. So as long as you taxi below 15 knots and the display shows GND in the window he is good. Once he takes off it will switch to ALT mode and then switches back to GND mode when he lands and gets below 15 knots after 10 seconds. I recommend stopping after clearing the runway for about 15 seconds then begin taxi to parking area and shut down at less than 15 knots. Also Try not to do any Touch-N-Go's or landings at other airports during this test because they could loose contact as well and you fail the test. The test does not start over once you land and takeoff again it continues as one flight. It only will begin another flight cycle if you shutdown and restart the ESG transponder. Remember even in STBY mode the ESG is transmitting ADS-B data. Good luck I hope this helps! The AOPA also had a good article on passing this rebate test flight. Here is the Link:

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all ... -clarified
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
busav8or

Post by busav8or »

I don't know how I missed this thread before but I had the Stratus ESGi installed last December by a shop in SC (remember the crazy amperage story due to the discharged battery?) I absolutely love the unit! It has worked flawlessly so far. No issue with the "flight on ground" for me but that may just be due to slow taxiing!

Funny story on the qualification flight, though. I flew back from the installer mostly under Charlotte's class B airspace but with no maneuvering as spelled out in the AC. When back on the ground I thought, "why not submit the flight and see what else I need to do to qualify?" Well, within about 15 minutes I got a reply that I had passed and could finish applying for the $500, which I did and got my check soon thereafter. My buddies said the way I fly "normally" must have qualified as excessive maneuvering to the FAA! Could be! :oops:
Former Caretaker of N4410B '55 170B
s/n: 26754
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

It isn't very clear, but I believe that AC is mostly written for the benefit of companies trying to get their ADS-B equipment certified. Customers wishing to claim their rebate just need to make a 30-minute flight in "rule" airspace.
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
rickyricky2

Post by rickyricky2 »

Hi All
I took my test flight last Tuesday the 21st. I did the paperwork Tuesday night and got my $500 check today the 27th.
They must have been waiting for me.

Dick Bryant
54 170B
N2704C