GAMI injectors

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Metal Master

GAMI injectors

Post by Metal Master »

While not a topic for most 170's as they have carbureted engines. However now that I have been flying the 170/210 with the TCM IO360 installed. I found that my "GAMI" fuel flow spread was 1.1 gallons at full lean. The new Insight avionics graphic engine monitor allows easy viewing of the fuel flow at peak lean. As the engine is leaned to peak EGT and starts to decrease in temperature the EGT bars record the fuel flow of each cylinder as it peaks and displays the number at the top of the EGT columns on all six cylinders. It also records this data on the SD card for later down load. After flying the airplane a bit I found that my fuel flows are spread over 1.1 Gallons per hour total fuel flow as each cylinders EGT in turn peaks. I wanted to narrow this fuel flow spread down to less than the .5 gallons per hour fuel flow spread that is recommended. Thus I purchased and have just finished installing a set of General Aviation Modifications Inc. GAMI injectors . I just finished last night and had planned to run the engine and then change the oil but discovered that I only had a mixed bag of Mineral oil rather than 9 quarts of any one so I need to go out and buy some more oil today.
The engine has about 9 hours on it and I flew up to Arlington on Father’s day for breakfast. I did not see the other 170A land but was parked next to me when I left. HI! Whoever you were?
So I have not had a chance to fly with the new injectors yet. I will try to do so this weekend weather permitting. With a narrower fuel flow spread I should be able to fly lean of peak reliably. At 65% power running rich of peak 23 squared. I am getting 135 MPH cruise, at 75% I am getting 140 MPH but the fuel flow is around 10.8 gallons per hour.
GAMI labels on the rocker covers
GAMI labels on the rocker covers
View of spine mounted Insight fuel flow transducer
View of spine mounted Insight fuel flow transducer
GAMI Injectors installed
GAMI Injectors installed
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!