REPLACE HEADLINER ZIPPER

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

REPLACE HEADLINER ZIPPER

Post by MoonlightVFR »

1954 B C 170. Headliner zipper goes across the cabin to allow cable inspections

I want to remove headliner that I like and just have the Zipper replaced. Carefully remove and hire sewing shop.

What is chance of locating a strong modern Zipper to replace original metal zipper that is now 62 years old.

Searched the forum could not find "Zipper Replacement"

Any suggestions?
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
bagarre

Re: REPLACE HEADLINER ZIPPER

Post by bagarre »

Any taylor should be able to order and replace the zipper.
I'll be impresses if you can get that headliner down in good enough condition to put back up tho.
Kurt Aichele

Post by Kurt Aichele »

Give Lorraine Morris a call. She does headliner installs and interiors. She is based at Poplar Grove Airport (C77).
http://www.taildraggeraviation.com/index.html
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Last I looked around at zippers, they are readily available. Even like they made them 62 years ago. As David said, I'd be impressed if you could remove and reinstall a62 year old headliner. They are usually pretty thin by now.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
BeeMan

Post by BeeMan »

I just removed my headliner, which was old but not original near as I can tell ('52 170B). The zipper had been replaced with one sewn into a patch that was then hand stitched into the airplane. It worked OK but looked tacky. In any case, the headliner material was quite fragile with age and had little elasticity. My guess is that if you were able to get it out without ripping it, you would not be pleased with the appearance when it was reinstalled.
okflyer

Post by okflyer »

Can anyone tell me the length of the zipper in a 48 170 headliner?
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Now the million dollar question? Which way do they go ? Zippers that is positioned Fore and aft or across the aircraft. Originally I couldn’t get a headliner and had one made which worked out ok. We didn’t have the original headliner and only went by pictures and the parts catalog . However my zip goes fore and aft but now have seen zips which go across the aircraft . These zips that go across the aircraft would allow easier access to cable turnbarrels.
brian.olson

Post by brian.olson »

My "old" headliner and my "new" headliner (purchased from Airtex, installed last weekend) both go fore/aft. The new headliner goes significantly further "aft" than the old one does.
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716
Bruce Fenstermacher

Brian, because the aileron and flap cable run aft, the zipper from '48 to '51 runs fore to aft. Starting in '52 with the B model, the cables did not run to the back of the cabin and so the zipper runs from side to side.

okflyer

Post by okflyer »

Bruce
My zipper in the 48 runs lengthwise up from the aft end as you say. I gave mine away as a sample and didn't get it back so need the length of the zipper to have a new one made. Should be around 44" but maybe someone can measure theirs and let me know.
Dave
Bruce Fenstermacher

On my old headliner, which stands a small chance of being original, the zipper is 46". One my new headliner made by Aircraft Spruce from their pattern for a 170A, it is 46" Your '48 would have had the same.

I don't know the current pricing as we bought ours about 5 years ago, but I found, and my cheap partner Leroy agreed, we couldn't make a suitable headliner for the cost of the Spruce at the time. Actually I can be as cheap as Leroy to be honest.

okflyer

Post by okflyer »

Thanks. I had estimated 44" so 46 must be correct. I'm going to order from Spruce as well.
showe

Post by showe »

For what it’s worth, our headliner is almost certainly original and the zipper measures 49” in length. Obviously each plane may have been different
Shawn
1948 N4039V SN 18358
Bruce Fenstermacher

showe wrote:For what it’s worth, our headliner is almost certainly original and the zipper measures 49” in length. Obviously each plane may have been different
I can attest that Shawn's headliner IS an original '48 headliner. He and his partner own and are in the process of bringing back to life an incredible time capsule.

okflyer

Post by okflyer »

My old headliner showed up at work today, rescued from the upholsterers garbage can. I had that one custom made and copied directly from the original. The zipper is 50". Thanks to everyone that replied.