Custom center stack panel

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

kylegreen229

Re: Custom center stack panel

Post by kylegreen229 »

this a straight tail 172, upgraded panel, they kept the standard "T" column. 1 radio and a transponder up top. I think this is now what I am kind of going for, except like the style pictured above with a left and a right panel and a bottom section for controls, breakers etc. Then can mount ipad where all the other "center stack" radios would go. This will work just fine for the style of flying I will be doing I do think.
Attachments
IMG_4697 (1).JPG
1955 Cessna 170B
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I don't know why, but that panel looks kind of high for a C-170.

It looks like a rather strange flight instrument arrangement too.
BL
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

blueldr wrote:I don't know why, but that panel looks kind of high for a C-170.

The top of the panel doesn't appear to be symmetrical either. I'd be weary of doing too much engineering...unless you're on a budget, the Avion panels have been around a long time. To recall, there were some issues with parts if installed under STC a few years back, but I believe they can be installed on a 337 as well. John Barrett would be the guy to talk you through it. I have flown his airplane, and his panel is amazing, to put it plainly.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

blueldr wrote:I don't know why, but that panel looks kind of high for a C-170.

That panel looks high because it's just one big monochromatic flat plate from the glareshield all the way down to below the controls and circuit breakers. I don't like that look, especially in an old airplane. It needs some kind of visual breaks from depth differences, multiple pieces, or just color changes.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

kylegreen229 wrote:this a straight tail 172, upgraded panel, they kept the standard "T" column. 1 radio and a transponder up top. I think this is now what I am kind of going for, except like the style pictured above with a left and a right panel and a bottom section for controls, breakers etc. Then can mount ipad where all the other "center stack" radios would go. This will work just fine for the style of flying I will be doing I do think.
This panel would be almost impossible to remove to work behind it. If someone is going to start from scratch building a new panel, they will be doing themselves a huge favor by designing the panel for ease of removal for maintenance behind the panel. If nothing else, the flight instruments should be in their own panel which is easily removed. The lower panel with the engine controls, circuit breakers, switches, etc should be in their own fixed panel which is not removable but easily accessible from below or above when the removable panel is out.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
kylegreen229

Post by kylegreen229 »

I'm 100% with you guys. The panel is just one big piece. Boring and a little goofy. All as I was trying to show was mainly that it still had the standard "T bar control yoke" with one radio and transponder up high which could give me room in my panel to mount my ipad where the rest of the center stack radios would go in the center. I would break up the panel with two separate top pieces and then a bottom panel roughly 3" wide for switches, fuses and engine controls.
1955 Cessna 170B
kylegreen229

Post by kylegreen229 »

johneeb wrote:Kyle,
Both sides are rigid.
170 progress 2003-11-14 001.jpg
Are the panels up top equal or is one wider than the other for instrument/radio placement?

Thanks,
Kyle
1955 Cessna 170B
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

kylegreen229 wrote:
Both sides are rigid.
Are the panels up top equal or is one wider than the other for instrument/radio placement?

Thanks,
Kyle
Kyle,
The right panel is slightly larger. As I recall it had to do with where the radio rack was located and the width of the parts of the racks located behind the panel. I suppose by moving every thing on the right panel slightly to the right we could have had the split in the panel exactly in the middle.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
kylegreen229

Post by kylegreen229 »

johneeb wrote:
kylegreen229 wrote:
Both sides are rigid.

Thanks,
Kyle
Kyle,
The right panel is slightly larger. As I recall it had to do with where the radio rack was located and the width of the parts of the racks located behind the panel. I suppose by moving every thing on the right panel slightly to the right we could have had the split in the panel exactly in the middle.
Thanks for the info.
1955 Cessna 170B
kylegreen229

Post by kylegreen229 »

Ended up getting a hold of a Y control yoke assembly. Came out of a 170A I believe. It was previously cut and re-welded. It needs some attention, all the bearings and pulleys will need replaced. Pretty excited to have come across this!
1955 Cessna 170B
melcessna

Post by melcessna »

I have put a single panel in my 53. In addition, a second lower strip for all switches and breakers. I drew it up and Del-Air punched it out. Riveting it in was a no brainer. Del-Air will also make the T control into a Y to allow for the avionics. Del-Air located in Porterville, CA. Ask for Chris. Hope this helps.
Michael E. Lewis
kylegreen229

Post by kylegreen229 »

melcessna wrote:I have put a single panel in my 53. In addition, a second lower strip for all switches and breakers. I drew it up and Del-Air punched it out. Riveting it in was a no brainer. Del-Air will also make the T control into a Y to allow for the avionics. Del-Air located in Porterville, CA. Ask for Chris. Hope this helps.
Thank you for that info. I will have to give Del-Air a call. The Y yoke I obtained is from a Cessna 170A that was cut and modified for it. Holding it in front of where the T yoke currently is it looks like it is almost 6" lower than the standard T if it were installed in its place. I would think it would be the same for an A or B.
1955 Cessna 170B
kylegreen229

Post by kylegreen229 »

Spoke with Chris at Del-Air. Seemed like a straight shooter and great guy. I'm not sure I can stomach the $2700 or so to have the whole thing done when I have a yoke assembly sitting here, just need to make sure its right or make it right. The Y yoke I have is about 5" shorter than my stock T yoke assembly. I cannot figure that one out as it was cut and welded and his one came out of a 170A...cant be much different than a 170B in that sense right??

Anyone have photos of their yoke assembly I could look at? Chris mentioned that the height of the yoke where the control yokes attach are the same height as stock. If that is the case then I could cut and weld the one I currently came across to the bottom of my T yoke and have the same thing. Just want to be sure where to cut and weld if I do.

I ordered the records of the 170A that I obtained this yoke out of. I hope it provides more information as well in the 337's.
1955 Cessna 170B
melcessna

Post by melcessna »

Chris is a very very good guy. The work will be perfect. I shipped mine and then it was returned. I am happy to get under the panel and give you measurements of my Y yoke. 170A and 170B will more than likely be the same, but I can't assure absolutely as I don't really know.
Michael E. Lewis
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

The "U" yoke that I used came out of an early C-172. All the dimentions measured the same except the length of the main shaft between the pivot bolt hole and the elevator control hole on the very bottom, I had to cut and shorten it about one inch or so.
BL