Plane Power Alternator

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ak2711c

Plane Power Alternator

Post by ak2711c »

Has anybody else had reliability issues with their Plane Power ER14-50 light weight alternator? Mine slowly but surely started taking higher and higher RPM to get it to come online until today it failed completely. It has less than 200 hours on it but its about 3 years old so its out of warranty. I'm going to contact Plane Power on Monday and see if they will do anything for me. I'm just wondering if anybody else has had issues. Those things are too expensive to have that short of a life.
Shawn
ghostflyer

Re: Plane Power Alternator

Post by ghostflyer »

I would check the voltage regulator first . then check the brushes on the alternator and all connections on both components. Mine is set to 14.2 volts and the draw during flight is about 1.2 amps. This is having radios ,transponder, navy lights on . The only problem we have had with these alternators is the 3 long bolts that hold the 2 halves together work loose so now we drill some holes in each bolt and lock wire them together.
Plus in very hot conditions they need to run cool. We have set up a blast tube to blow cool air on the back of the alternator .
ak2711c

Post by ak2711c »

I did check all the wires and they all seemed tight and in good condition. The field wire has battery voltage at it with the master on so I think the regulator is working. I think I'll bench test the alt on Monday to confirm it is the issue.
Karl Towle

Post by Karl Towle »

I'm very interested in learning the outcome of your investigations. I just completed installing my second one of these alternators on a 170B (the first was on an E225 powered Bonanza). Definitely keep us posted please!
170C

Post by 170C »

Karl, you are probably aware, but PlanePower was purchased a couple of years ago by Hartzell Engine Technologies in Montgomery, AL (877-359-5355 or 334-386-5400) They are no longer in Granbury, TX. Let us know if you get any help from Hartzell.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

During lunch time some guys were talking about Plane Power Alternators and the new ownership and I ask why was it "really " necessary to have that blast tube on the back of the alternator. the general consensus was when the alternator under heavy load the brushes get very hot and the temper in the brush springs loose there tension. So the blast tube is cheap insurance.
ak2711c

Post by ak2711c »

Well its not looking good so far. Plane Power or Hartzell now, says they consider this a disposable alternator. There is no overhaul procedure and no overhaul parts available. They have a two year warranty on it that they say is nonnegotiable. Surprisingly the guy admitted that they put the two year warranty on it because they know these go on a lot of experimental airplanes and the thought was that the warranty would expire before the alternator ever saw an hour of service. This is due to the fact that guys tend to buy all the parts and then take years to build the aircraft. The warranty specifically says 2 years from the date of purchase not 2 years from the date of install. Pretty shady underhanded policy. I asked about the possibility of even buying a replacement at cost. He said sorry it is out of warranty, you are out of luck. After I reminded him how fast word travels in the aviation community about defective products and poor product support and that word can travel just as fast about a company that stands by their product and makes it right so people know they can count on them, he reluctantly agreed to talk to his supervisor. Not real impressed. What would the FAA have to say about certified alternators that are potentially on aircraft out flying IFR that have a possible life span of less than 200 hrs? Grrr!
ak2711c

Post by ak2711c »

Customer support just called me back. They said the only thing they would be willing to do is have me mail them my alternator at my cost. They would take it apart and repair it at my cost if it was repairable and mail it back to me at my cost. Oh how generous. :x
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

That sort of customer abuse is typical of Hartzell, in my experience.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

When I installed the TCM IO-360 engine in my airplane , I gave considerable thought to installing a Hartzell propeller until I found out about service and ADs,
I installed a McCauley.
BL
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I have heard a rumor that Nippon Denso are similar alternators . It would be interesting to compare .
ak2711c

Post by ak2711c »

I agree Dick. At the time I did my conversion MT props were not available yet so for the 180hp you were stuck with a Hartzel prop if you wanted constant speed. That made the IO-360 that much more appealing to be able to use the McCauley prop. Of Course 30 more hp was a big factor too. :)

I have some buddy's that are using the Nippon Denso alternators with good results but I think they are only available for belt drive applications. Mine is gear driven. I ended up ordering another complete conversion kit from Spruce for $743. Painful, I'm just hoping that my alt failure was a fluke or maybe they have made some improvements since they built mine. Apparently it is possible to order just the alt by itself but it has to be special ordered and there is a big lead time. I didn't want to wait.
Andy Metzka

Post by Andy Metzka »

Sorry to hear about the Plane Power issues. I know half a dozen guys running them and I put one on my 120 years ago- no issues.

Yes- it does sure look like a Denso!
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Shawn,
How come you didn't try to get a Cessna (Ford) alternator from a junk yard? Too much weight???

On my conversion I used the Cessna alternator that I nad on the old O-300 engine.
BL
cfzxo

Post by cfzxo »

B & C Specialty Products for starters and alternators is my first choice.