Plane Power Alternator

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ak2711c

Re: Plane Power Alternator

Post by ak2711c »

I had an old alternator on it originally. I can't remember if it was Cessna or Ford. However they are rediculously heavy and mine was in need of overhaul so I went with the light weight plane power alt as an upgrade. Hopefully the new one will have more longevity.
Shawn
ak2711c

Post by ak2711c »

I have always had good luck with B&C as well but they don't make a certified alt for it, only experimental. I hounded them for a couple years every time I saw them at trade shows to get it certified. I gave up and bought the plane power as soon as they got theirs certified.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I had considered a light weight alternator on my TCM IO-360 conversion, but I had the Cessna alternator and, at that point, didn't want to spend the money for an aftermarket acessory to save the few pounds. Truthfully, I don't remember any lighr weight alternator other than the B&C, and it was not certified at that time.
I had also upgraded the battery from a 25 to a 35 size and was not, at that time, really striving to save weight considering all that extra power.
BL
N419A

Post by N419A »

I'd do a little more research if there calling it disposable it probably is a denso with a $30 replaceable internal regular. We are in the process of put a 180hp in my brothers cub an I think it's a plane power light weight alternator kit were putting in there. I know it identical to the denso I put in my 170 and cub, although his kit came with an external regulator.
Paul.
53' 170B
180+HP IO360M1B (StootS conversion), 80" Hartzell, Sportsman Cuff, Super Drooper tips, V-Brace, Selkirk X baggage, AK Bushwheels all around.
ak2711c

Post by ak2711c »

They are very similar to the Denso. The parts may interchange, I'm not sure. The case is a little different and mine also has the external regulator.
170C

Post by 170C »

If I remember correctly, all Plane Power alternators had external regulators and the wiring is/was attached via screws vs plugs. Now that they have new owners there may be some changes, but have not heard any comments in this regard.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Karl Towle

Post by Karl Towle »

Having recently installed two such alternators, I can speak to this. The alternator output is connected by a ring terminal to a stud on the side of the alternator, and secured with a nut. The field connections are via a molded plug, that connects two(2) wires (red & white) and plugs into the rear of the alternator; retained by an integrated press-to-release catch. The regulator wiring is slightly simpler than with the Jasco alternator, and they do not require a duct for cooling. The PP unit does have provision for an alternator warning light on the panel that the company rep said was optional. The huge advantage of the PP alternator is that it takes up so much less real estate on the back of your engine, and makes working back there much easier.

TIP: To make it even easier to service, mount the alternator with three(3) MS21042-5 "Jet Nuts." Run a tap through the nuts before installing with flat and lock washers, to get rid of the self-locking feature. These nuts wrench with a 3/8" wrench, thus allowing one to use a small "Gear Ratchet" to get in where a 1/2" wrench has a much harder time accessing.

OBTW: The Jasco alternator made ALL connections to the rear via ring terminals on studs. Even worse, their regulator had four wires sticking out terminated with ring terminals. One had to obtain their own screw terminal strip for making the connections. Another difference is regulator mounting. The Jasco regulator mounting holes used unique spacing, which required the fabrication of some type of adapter plate, or drilling new holes. OTOH, the PP regulator mounting holes match nicely with the hole pattern vacated by the original generator regulator.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I put my Jasco regulator where the old generator regulator was, and I don't remember drilling any new mounting holes for it, though Jasco may have changed the footprint in the intervening 25 years. All 4 mounting points have anchor nuts on the cabin side, and I don't recall any extra holes. I installed rubber grommets between the regulator and the firewall for air circulaton and shock isolation. I double adel-clamped a circular "cannon" plug to the engine mount between the alternator and regulator instead of a terminal strip for connection to the alternator. This system has been absolutely reliable for 1300+ hours, though I did have the alternator overhauled at about 1000 hours just because everything else forward of the firewall got overhauled at the same time. I will admit it is a PITA connecting and disconnecting wires between the back of the alternator and the firewall.
Upper right firewall side view.jpg
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Karl Towle

Post by Karl Towle »

Ditching the ring terminals for a cannon plug sounds like a great idea. In my case, I opted for the much cooler, inside surface of the firewall, and used stand-offs there as well. Heat is the mortal enemy of solid state electronics!

I couldn't locate my old mechanical generator regulator, but found a solid state replacement on the shelf. Below is a pic of this regulator (which definitely mounts using the original 3 mounting holes), sitting on top of the Jasco regulator that is at least 16 years old. The difference in hole spacing is very evident.
170RegComp.JPG
Did Jasco change their regulator mounting? Maybe - if someone knows for sure, please chime in. However, the two Jasco regulators I have in my possession both have identical 3 hole patterns, with very different spacing compared to the original regulator!
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Looks like what happened is that I drilled the new holes, covered up the old ones with the slightly larger Jasco regulator, and forgot about them in the intervening 25 years. :oops: I guess it's a good sign that that regulator didn't have to come off in all that time!
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

ak2711c wrote:I have always had good luck with B&C as well but they don't make a certified alt for it, only experimental. I hounded them for a couple years every time I saw them at trade shows to get it certified. I gave up and bought the plane power as soon as they got theirs certified.
It looks like it may be legal to install the 30 amp B&C alternator. Look at STC SA02283AK. It allows for the installation of B&C’s BC-433H 30 amp alternator on the C-120, C-140, various Luscombes and Aeroncas. But check out item 5 of the “Limitations and Conditions” section of the STC:
C-85-12, -12F, -14F; C-90-12F, -14F; C-145-2; O-200-A, -B, -C or O-300-A, B, C engine in accordance with FAA approved data.
According to Luscombe’s website this allows for installation of this alternator on aircraft other than those listed on the FAA AML. If I were to install one I would want to insure the engine had a dampened crank. As seen in B&C’s Quick Facts section it’s more like a 27 amp alternator at cruise rpm.
4.4 lbs.!
4.4 lbs.!
Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

ak2711c wrote:Well its not looking good so far. Plane Power or Hartzell now, says they consider this a disposable alternator. There is no overhaul procedure and no overhaul parts available. They have a two year warranty on it that they say is nonnegotiable. Surprisingly the guy admitted that they put the two year warranty on it because they know these go on a lot of experimental airplanes and the thought was that the warranty would expire before the alternator ever saw an hour of service. This is due to the fact that guys tend to buy all the parts and then take years to build the aircraft. The warranty specifically says 2 years from the date of purchase not 2 years from the date of install. Pretty shady underhanded policy. I asked about the possibility of even buying a replacement at cost. He said sorry it is out of warranty, you are out of luck. After I reminded him how fast word travels in the aviation community about defective products and poor product support and that word can travel just as fast about a company that stands by their product and makes it right so people know they can count on them, he reluctantly agreed to talk to his supervisor. Not real impressed. What would the FAA have to say about certified alternators that are potentially on aircraft out flying IFR that have a possible life span of less than 200 hrs? Grrr!

While doing a bit of research I came across an online article which quoted Jason Hutchison, General Manager of Plane Power, in which the article states " Plane-Power overhauls its alternators for a flat fee of $295 and in almost all cases can provide same-day turnaround. According to Hutchison, overhauled Plane-Power alternators are the same as new since many parts are not reused.
There are seven employees at Plane-Power. Hutchison addressed customer service by saying, "Everyone here has a green light to do whatever it takes for our customers. It's not unusual for one of us to swing by UPS after work to drop off a unit for next-day delivery."

Maybe Mr. Hutchison needs to be reminded of his promises?

(Personally, I don't half-believe much of that article anyway. : https://www.cessnaflyer.org/maintenance ... power.html )
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Post by 170C »

Jason was the PP manager when I worked at Sky-Tec (sister company) and is a good guy. However, when PP was sold to Hartzel the warranty, etc. was no longer the responsibility of the former owners of PP.
Too often a company produces a good product, gets purchased by another entity and the new company fails to warrent prior customers products.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

We have had major issues with sky-tech starters and will not stock or fit them due to manufactures policies. PP alternators have the main through screws were vibrating loose so we now lock wire these together. Plus the regulator is now fitted to the firewall on the inside of the cabin. A lot cooler and so far no issues with any aircraft with this fit out.