FM Oil Filter has NEW OWNER

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: gahorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

FM Oil Filter has NEW OWNER

Postby gahorn » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:11 pm

The FM Enterprises oil filter adaptor rights/STC has been sold to Tempest Plus Products. http://www.tempestplus.com/Home.aspx

I have talked to their Tech Rep and he tells me that it has been a drawn-out process due to the death of the FM Enterprises Owner, which left the STC and support products (like gaskets) difficult to obtain PMA for because of lost drawings. They have only recently found success in that search and are now in the process of awaiting final approval from FAA to produce new and replacement parts, which should be available by Feb. 2016.

Anyone needing gaskets, etc.. should contact Aircraft Spruce who has a small supply.

It is hoped that no huge demand will be made before new parts become available in Feb 2016 because supply is very limited. (Please don't hoard these items... some Members are presently AOG awaiting gaskets. Plenty will become available in only a few months.)

In the event any of you become grounded awaiting parts, email me, as their Tech Rep promised me he would help, if possible.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
gahorn

Re: FM Oil Filter has NEW OWNER

Postby 170C » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:00 pm

George, I have an F&M Oil Filter Adapter (CO-300), which is likely what all Continental O-300 engines currently have, if they have the F&M adapter. Mine was installed in 2003 and checking the STC it specifies the only two filters approved for the adapter are the Champion CH 48108 or the AC-OF53A. It would seem that when Tempest gets everything up and going next February that they will likely have PMA for their (Tempest) filters. In the meantime am I correct that no other brand of filter is technically legal other than the two listed above?
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
170C

Postby gahorn » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:32 am

According the FM STC, yes.
According to Tempest, their filter is an approved replacement for the Champion 48108. As for it's substitution on an oil filter adaptor they have recently acquired... I can only guess they'll approve their own "replacement" filters for that application.
I doubt anyone is going to violate you on such a choice, although I personally still use Champion filters. (The Tempest filter has a magnet inside it, which is a good idea I suppose, but that magnet is located down at the far-end of the can where it is last to get in-touch with any oil. If they'd placed it up near the entrance to the outer media surface I'd be more convinced it might actually be useful. (I have a different, Ram Engines STC'd filter magnet system anyway, but the Tempest filters are usually slightly less expensive, so if that's what you're actually driving at... I'd say, "go for it".)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
gahorn

Postby mschlender » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:05 pm

How do you know which gaskets yours has? Spruce has different gaskets? Thanks Mike
mschlender

Postby mschlender » Sun May 08, 2016 5:56 pm

Has anybody ordered gaskets for there filter housing? Spruce has 2 different ones, how do you know what gaskets you use on yours?
mschlender

Postby bagarre » Sun May 08, 2016 6:19 pm

So much for holding on to my extra gaskets to fund my retirement :)
bagarre

Postby novascotia » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:01 am

Haha was holding on to mine aswell bagarre :) good news tho!
novascotia

Postby goodair » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:04 pm

Just installed this filter assembly on our 170B. It is as easy as can be. BUT, I will caution all that do this to flush the brand new filter adapter in clean solvent and high pressure air. I had a few chips left in the thing from manufacture. Sure don't want that stuff circulating through the engine. I am a little surprised to find this so I took pictures. I did put the part that inserts into the screen area into my ultra sonic cleaner for a few minutes and then flushed and blew it all dry. There were just two or three pretty decent size chips, like you would find on a drill press, left inside.

Other than that, it is a snap to do.
goodair

Postby cessna170bdriver » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:32 pm

The hardest part for me was torqueing the big square nut. That got easier after I traded an old set of worn out crosswind landing gear to Bruce F for a homemade square socket. (I think we were both happy with that deal. :) )

Also, at least once a year I manage to move the whole assembly while removing an old filter, which usually starts a small drip (which reminds me, I need to order a new set of gaskets... :oops: )
Miles
cessna170bdriver

Return to The Hangar