Lifting a fuselage

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

wingnut

Re: Lifting a fuselage

Post by wingnut »

Well Joe, whichever way you do it, I like your design. Now I've gotta build one. I'll put a data tag on it "Moilanen Lift #1"
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

wingnut wrote:Well Joe, whichever way you do it, I like your design. Now I've gotta build one. I'll put a data tag on it "Moilanen Lift #1"
Thanks Del!
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

I've thought about this many times; not so much for myself or my needs, although I have had occasion to need to lift a fuselage without interfering with the gear leg change out. Almost all of my work permits me other manner of lifting. But you, Joe, have just designed a piece of equipment that will become very useful to me and others. I'm not joking here. It may seem a simple idea, but I've never thought of it.....I've never seen one. Yes, it is simple in design, but you're the first one to do it to my knowledge. It allows lifting of the fuselage, with or without wings installed, and doesn't interfere with the removal/reinstallation of the gear legs. It is stable, and........well, perfect for many things. Thank you for posting!
So again, I'm building your design (if you haven't patented it :wink: ), and it'll be named after you.
FYI, this will be much better than the propeller blade straightening machined we named after Leo Overturf. It was a forked pine tree that he place the bent blade in to tweak it into the minimum allowable bend, before he sent it to the prop shop for final straightening/overhaul. That practice continued until we got a letter back (way before anybody around here used a fax machine), that said....."Dear ______, at least wipe the dam pine sap off the blades before you send them to me! Respectfully, Herman Foster"
The forked pine tree is still here. No telling how many props are still flying today. It's really not even something to joke about. Times have changed, and so has the way we all approach aircraft repair and maintence. But it is a window to the past, and a window we should all look through to realize how far we've come, or strayed, from what was.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

wingnut wrote:I've thought about this many times; not so much for myself or my needs, although I have had occasion to need to lift a fuselage without interfering with the gear leg change out. Almost all of my work permits me other manner of lifting. But you, Joe, have just designed a piece of equipment that will become very useful to me and others. I'm not joking here. It may seem a simple idea, but I've never thought of it.....I've never seen one. Yes, it is simple in design, but you're the first one to do it to my knowledge. It allows lifting of the fuselage, with or without wings installed, and doesn't interfere with the removal/reinstallation of the gear legs. It is stable, and........well, perfect for many things. Thank you for posting!
So again, I'm building your design (if you haven't patented it :wink: ), and it'll be named after you.
FYI, this will be much better than the propeller blade straightening machined we named after Leo Overturf. It was a forked pine tree that he place the bent blade in to tweak it into the minimum allowable bend, before he sent it to the prop shop for final straightening/overhaul. That practice continued until we got a letter back (way before anybody around here used a fax machine), that said....."Dear ______, at least wipe the dam pine sap off the blades before you send them to me! Respectfully, Herman Foster"
The forked pine tree is still here. No telling how many props are still flying today. It's really not even something to joke about. Times have changed, and so has the way we all approach aircraft repair and maintence. But it is a window to the past, and a window we should all look through to realize how far we've come, or strayed, from what was.
Coming from you Del, that is one of the best compliments I've ever had!!

Joe
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

That is a very good idea.

The only thing I might do different is add a center support to the cradle in a way to facilitate using a floor jack to lift the fuselage.
Once you get it to the hight you need, you can put your pins in and remove the jack.

If you put the thing on casters, you could even move the plane around on it.

Heck, that thing is useful for most any 100 series aircraft even for pulling the wheels off at annual or a routine check that the gear legs are on tight (another annual thing).

That's it, I need a welder.
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

bagarre wrote:That is a very good idea.

The only thing I might do different is add a center support to the cradle in a way to facilitate using a floor jack to lift the fuselage.
Once you get it to the hight you need, you can put your pins in and remove the jack.

If you put the thing on casters, you could even move the plane around on it.

Heck, that thing is useful for most any 100 series aircraft even for pulling the wheels off at annual or a routine check that the gear legs are on tight (another annual thing).

That's it, I need a welder.
That's it Bagarre, I'll weld one on as soon as I weld the tie down rings on that Del suggested...

Joe
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Here's our current solution to lifting (and moving) a fuselage.

The firewall jig has casters to move it around the shop. For transit, the casters are taken off and it's lag bolted to the trailer.

Once in the shop, I'll build a support that allows the fuselage to pivot like a rotisserie to make cleaning easier.

Should be down here in a week or so.
IMG_3124.jpg
PA240030.jpg
PA240031.jpg
PA240039.jpg
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

Looks great David!

Joe
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

You guys are awesome! Great ideas here amongst the group.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I'm impressed also by the self-conforming roller-door bottom weatherseal.

Seriously, the amount of expertise and ingenuity of our Members is richly-rewarding. Thanks to ALL for posting!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

gahorn wrote:Image

I'm impressed also by the self-conforming roller-door bottom weatherseal.

Seriously, the amount of expertise and ingenuity of our Members is richly-rewarding. Thanks to ALL for posting!
I'll have to patent that door seal George...Form follows function!!

Joe
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

I'm just about to build one of these. Can someone tell me where it should be placed fore and aft wise? I assume between the gear legs, but I want to get to the gear leg inboard bolts? Or can I leave an access hole?
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

daedaluscan wrote:I'm just about to build one of these. Can someone tell me where it should be placed fore and aft wise? I assume between the gear legs, but I want to get to the gear leg inboard bolts? Or can I leave an access hole?
Hi Charlie,
The cradle should be placed directly beneath the bulkhead next to the gearbox, you will still have access to the holes in the fuselage to get to the nuts securing the gear leg. Rushed for time right now but if you need more info I'll help you out with any construction questions that you have.

Joe
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

Thanks Joe, that's what I assumed, but I was unsure whether I should be forward or aft of the bolt access holes? There is a belly panel that covers the gearbox (with the holes to access the bolts in it) - I assume I can be on the rivet line either on the front or back of this panel?
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

daedaluscan wrote:Thanks Joe, that's what I assumed, but I was unsure whether I should be forward or aft of the bolt access holes? There is a belly panel that covers the gearbox (with the holes to access the bolts in it) - I assume I can be on the rivet line either on the front or back of this panel?
On the rivet line in-line with the struts, behind the gear legs, the nuts can then be accessed about 2" in front of the cradle. I don't know if you can see it in the picture but the cradle assembly pivots so as to stay with the angle of the fuselage as it is raised. This is necessary so that the cradle stays flat on the fuselage and doesn't dent any skin. It could probably be used in the front location also though.