Angle of attack

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Avee8or

Angle of attack

Post by Avee8or »

Has anyone installed an AOA system on their 170?

I was considering the Garmin, but my radio shop has said that they and Garmin cannot figure out a satisfactory way to mount the probe.
Varel Freeman

170B N3211A
195 N195GW
PA31 N508Y
n2582d

Re: Angle of attack

Post by n2582d »

Is the probe simply a replacement for a heated pitot tube typically seen on 172's? If so, it seems that one could use AK175-23D as acceptable data for the mounting of the probe.
Gary
Avee8or

Post by Avee8or »

No--the Garmin probe is independent of the airspeed pitot--they look similar, but are not interchangeable as the Garmin has (I believe) two angled openings and measures the AoA using differential pressure. After researching further, I have purchased a safe flite system which is new on the market. It uses a vane similar to the stall warning vane as a sensor. It mounts on the wing near the stagnation point (basically a mirror image on the fight wing of the stall warning vane that is on the left wing).

It seems well thought out--although you have to cut a hole in the LE of wing for the vane, the instructions are very clear, and prior Cessna installs give some indication that it should be a simple job. Then a cat V cable connects to the indicator in cabin...no plumbing required as with the Garmin.

Happy to share photos and experience when the job is done (right now 11A is opened up for new radios, strobes, ELT and ADSB so it could be a while before ready to fly.
Varel Freeman

170B N3211A
195 N195GW
PA31 N508Y
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Avee8or wrote:... After researching further, I have purchased a safe flite system which is new on the market. ...
Varel,
The Safe Flight SCc system looks like a nice set up. It's good to see the FAA encouraging the installation of these sorts of systems. Actually, rather than "new on the market" it's rather retro. Not sure why it never caught on 57 years ago ... price perhaps? Check out AK172-11 here. Anyone ever seen one of these installed on a Cessna?
Gary
Avee8or

Post by Avee8or »

Gary,

I have heard of this, and always assumed it was an early AoA system. It is pretty similar to the new system save for update to modern electronics! Looking forward to having it up and running...and 11A back in air again. Will post results. Best, Varel
Varel Freeman

170B N3211A
195 N195GW
PA31 N508Y