Where to get yokes refurbished?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Heflin

Re: Where to get yokes refurbished?

Post by Heflin »

I discovered that by using a pair of channel locks, you can grip and give a twist and that plastic coating will crack and peel right off.
ISAIAH 40:31
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

hilltop170 wrote:The original plastic coating is very tough and hard but can be chipped off. The yokes are metal (cast aluminum I think) under the plastic. The plastic coatings on mine were worn very badly and the powder coat guys did the removal of the old coating and new powder coat. They told me to not ever bring in another set.
Yeah... those guys probably don't mind doing another set...maybe they just don't want YOU back in their shop? :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
3958v

Post by 3958v »

I was able to peal my yokes with a putty knife. The powder coating guys dont like the yokes because when they bake them they emit a gas which blows bubbles in the finish. It might help to put them thru a few bake cycles before actually putting the coating on and bakeing them. The next problem you will have is recromeing the shafts and then you can buy the original rivets from Cessna for $100 a piece. The rivets are a very unusual size not commonly available. Its not hard to have a ton of money in nice yokes but they sure are a nice touch. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
robw56

Post by robw56 »

I removed the plastic on my yokes by taking a razor blade and shaving it off. I removed the remnants with paint stripper and a brush. I took them to the local powder coater and had them refinished for $40. Then I added some Cessna 170B decals that I had he local graphics shop make and the yokes look better than new.

Here's a picture
https://www.backcountrypilot.org/images ... 96d3e3.jpg
Heflin

Post by Heflin »

Those are nice!
Heflin

Post by Heflin »

Still working on mine. I'd love to buy some of those graphics, Rob. Reckon your guy will sell some?
image.jpg
Heflin

Post by Heflin »

Yes they are painted silver. Here is a photo of one stripped before sanding and the other original.
image.jpg
robw56

Post by robw56 »

Heflin wrote:Still working on mine. I'd love to buy some of those graphics, Rob. Reckon your guy will sell some?
I had them custom made. They are scaled down from the 12" wide ones you can find that go on the tail.
c170taildragger

Post by c170taildragger »

I had yokes from a Cessna 140 refurbished from another Cessna 140 ownerJeff Tourt. 815-695-9970 he is in Illinois.
If you email me I can send some pictures since I haven’t figure out how to post them here! LOL
c140taildragger@yahoo.com