Interior pics

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Re: Interior pics

Post by GAHorn »

I may have to give up my motto after this .......... :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cbeyer

Post by cbeyer »

Gary,
Regarding the 52 model back seat, there were four buttons evenly spaced about an inch and half or so below the leather trim on the top of the backseat back. Therefore, the illustration is in error as to the number and the location thereof. At least according the example of serial number 20472. Details!

kind regards,
Charlie
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

gahorn wrote:I may have to give up my motto after this .......... :lol:
George, That sobriquet belongs to Charlie. He's been looking at the details of the 170 at least since 1965. I'm a rank amateur, a neophyte, in comparison.

Charlie, thanks for the response. I was afraid that might be the answer as I think I bought the last six tufting buttons in existence-- two short. I assume the pattern of four buttons on the rear seat bottom duplicate that of the rear seat back?
Gary
KG

Post by KG »

A related question....

Yesterday a friend asked me if the 170 rear seat originally came with a single seat belt that fastened across all occupants. He said that as a child he remembers riding in the back of an early 180 that had a bench seat with a single seat belt. I told him I would ask the experts.
53 170B
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Always two belts. Your friend was likely riding in a Piper Cruiser.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Keith,
It could be that he recalls riding in the "auxiliary seat" which was placed in the baggage compartment of the 180. Does he recall being able to see out a window? Prior to the 1964 model he wouldn't have had that luxury.
180 Aux Seat.jpg
180 Aux Seat.jpg (41.71 KiB) Viewed 12321 times
Last edited by n2582d on Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

This reminds me of the story told by Russ Farris of the history of his 170 which was involved in a mid-air collision with a DC-3 (all landed and survived)... A grandfather had taken his 4 grandkids up for a joy-ride with several of them sharing a seat belt. That used to be allowed. :roll:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
KG

Post by KG »

I'll ask him for more details when I see him but he is very knowledgeable and I'm sure he knows it was a 180. I suppose he could have been very small in the aforementioned aux seat. Or the seat belt could have been changed I guess.
53 170B
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

Hi Gary. I believe my rear seat is original. At least as far as I can tell. The fabric and carpet matches the original material I removed form the floor and rest of airplane. Mine has four buttons.
Attachments
2017-08-27 14.25.45.jpg
2017-08-27 14.25.50.jpg
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
cbeyer

Post by cbeyer »

Gary,
I also believe Nippaero's rear seat is original. The button pattern and fabric weave appear the same as that of SN 20472. Except 20472 is red rather than blue. Search etsy.com for vintage upholstery buttons. There has got to be some buttons in there very near to correct. Who is to know?

Charlie
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Mike,
Thanks for the pictures! The condition of your rear seat is absolutely remarkable considering its age! It's like the previous owners only took the plane out of its hangar to fly at night. Attached are a couple of pictures Charlie sent me some time ago of his interior. Note the original gray fabric color underneath where the rear ashtray is located compared to the faded beige color. A similar contrast between faded and protected original is seen where the torn leather meets the fabric on the seat back. Your leather almost looks blue-green on my screen. I realize it's impossible to accurately transmit the true color over a computer. How did the fabric under your ashtrays compare to the exposed fabric? Are there places where the leather wasn't exposed to the light. I would have expected it to be a navy blue color.
Fabric under ashtray on '52 Click to enlarge
Fabric under ashtray on '52 Click to enlarge
Fabric and leather trim on '52 Click to enlarge
Fabric and leather trim on '52 Click to enlarge
Last edited by n2582d on Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

interstellardust wrote:Unfortunately, Buster's Upholstery in Porterville seems to have gone out of business. At least their phone has been disconnected.
Ronnie Broadhead's obit.
Bill, Ronnie was the owner of Buster's Upholstery. It's sad to see talented craftsman like this passing on.

Sorry none of my leads panned out. What did you finally find for your interior?
Gary
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

n2582d wrote:Mike,
Thanks for the pictures! The condition of your rear seat is absolutely remarkable considering its age! It's like the previous owners only took the plane out of its hangar to fly at night. Attached are a couple of pictures Charlie sent me some time ago of his interior. Note the original gray fabric color underneath where the rear ashtray is located compared to the faded beige color. A similar contrast between faded and protected original is seen where the torn leather meets the fabric on the seat back. Your leather almost looks blue-green on my screen. I realize it's impossible to accurately transmit the true color over a computer. How did the fabric under your ashtrays compare to the exposed fabric? Are there places where the leather wasn't exposed to the light. I would have expected it to be a navy blue color.
IMG_0595.JPG
IMG_0594.JPG
My airplane was very well kept and in a hanger mot of its life. The side panels are not original. I am just finishing up installing an Airtex interior. I am leaving the rear seat intact for now. It's the only original piece left :D
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032