Interior pics

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

busav8or

Interior pics

Post by busav8or »

Time for a new interior for 4410B! Does anyone have any interior pics that they haven't already put on the forum? I've done several searches and think I have seen all that have already been published, so if there any photos just "laying around" (is that even possible in this digital age?!) I'd love to see them. Just fishing for ideas at this point! Seats and side panels are especially interesting!

Thanks,
Joe
Former Caretaker of N4410B '55 170B
s/n: 26754
busav8or

Re: Interior pics

Post by busav8or »

Thanks, Aryana! Just the kind of stuff I'm looking for!
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Here are a few shots of mine in leather.
I absolutely love the colors and layout but I will not recommend the person that did it for me. His work is inconsistent. Some parts look flawless, other parts look like crap. for the price it should have been all flawless. And he has no interest in working with you on issues once he gets paid.

But it does take a pretty photo.
DSC_7881_small copy.jpg
DSC_7870_small copy.JPG
DSC_7868_small copy.JPG
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

bagarre wrote:Here are a few shots of mine in leather.
I absolutely love the colors and layout but I will not recommend the person that did it for me. His work is inconsistent. Some parts look flawless, other parts look like crap. for the price it should have been all flawless. And he has no interest in working with you on issues once he gets paid.

DSC_7881_small copy.jpg
DSC_7870_small copy.JPG
DSC_7868_small copy.JPG
Was that the guy in Arizona?
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Ryan Smith wrote:
bagarre wrote:Here are a few shots of mine in leather.

DSC_7881_small copy.jpg
DSC_7870_small copy.JPG
DSC_7868_small copy.JPG
Was that the guy in Arizona?
Yeah. Others on the forum have had good results with with him.
busav8or

Post by busav8or »

Thanks, David. I remember your airplane from Oshkosh and its beautiful interior! Sorry you had so much trouble with the craftsmanship. Those are the kinds of things that drive you nuts...the small details that should have and could have been done right with a little extra attention. I had the same issues with my paint job from a couple of years ago!

Joe
DWood

Post by DWood »

Hi Joe:
I hope you are doing well and thanks again for the help with OSH.

I don't recall your interior as we were talking polish (not the language) and OSH was too busy. I also don't recall it as looking that bad. Can you attach pictures and maybe there will be comments to help with your decision. On my 182, I have removed all the side panels and had new carpet sewed on to match the new carpet (still in process). The green vinyl is the same as in my 170 and the carpet is also similar. The 182 won't be a show plane but will look OK.
Pilot Door 20141231.jpg

Are you wanting custom or original? Expensive or not?
Thx,
Dan
C170U2

Post by C170U2 »

I have a pretty original interior in mine....seats and side panels have never been touched. The headliner was replaced at some point and is made of a really nice material. Aside from the one rip in the picture it is in good shape. I haven't seen any other headliners made with the material but I like it a lot!

Mike
Attachments
Interior
Interior
back seat
back seat
Headliner material
Headliner material
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Mike, that interior looks great but I have a hard time believing it has "never been touched". Besides it looking too good for a 60+ year interior the front seat backs look like they have been modified to have less of a curve. ... maybe it's just the camera angle?

Here are some seats for sale online. THIS is what 60 year old seat upholstery should look like! Anybody know what year model these might have come from?
image.jpg
image.jpg
Gary
C170U2

Post by C170U2 »

You're right....I really have no idea. Just going by what I see in the logs and what I have seen up close. In my mind they are original, and that is all that really matters. :) Either way, I still like how it all looks.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

OH NO. How is it I never noticed Mike's seat backs where not original. My image of his plane being so original, as it rolled out of Whichita, is crushed.

But they don't look bad and the covering and colors while also not duplicates of the original, are very period and look nice.

Gary looking at those seats, they are at least '52. The adjusting handle is hooked and they were straight until '52 according to the IPC.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
C170U2

Post by C170U2 »

You guys are killing me. I'm heading out to the airport now to cry in my hangar..... :lol:
DWood

Post by DWood »

Here are some original interior pictures from sn 18041

It was covered with red vinyl and this was under it.

Original side panel
NC2537V Original Side Panel Reduced Size.jpg
Rear seat back
NC2537V rear seat original.JPG
Obviously they didn't have any fashion sense back then!
voorheesh

Post by voorheesh »

Good looking interiors. I am thinking of removing headliner and wondering if there is any increase in noise or temperature issues. My plane has no insulation up in there (removed the old stuff when installing headliner 11 or 12 years ago). I think it looks better and makes inspection easier.
busav8or

Post by busav8or »

Thanks for all the responses so far! My current interior is OK, but I think it's time for an upgrade! The attached photos don't show the duct tape repairs that were made or the ripped side panels from pulling the seat back forward to load stuff in the back! I'm talking to a local guy who does the work here in NC and I've seen examples of his work. I'm thinking leather seats, vinyl/carpet side panels, new carpet and he will paint all metal interior parts for around $5500. I've been drooling over the seats that "Bigrenna" and David Ross have in their airplanes and my guy says he can do something similar without any trouble. Now for the photos (the first three are what's in there now):
IMG_0998.JPG
IMG_1001.JPG
IMG_1002.JPG
These are the colors I'm thinking about, light gray with deep red accents on the seats and side panels:
IMG_1006.JPG
IMG_1007.JPG