Elevator rigging

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ghostflyer

Elevator rigging

Post by ghostflyer »

Due to a AD I have to check the age of my cables and replace if over. 15 years. Well All the cables were changed about 4 years but no mention of the elevator cables. So new elevator cables were purchased off Mc Farlane . Had to cut a access hole just rearward of the fuel selector valve to gain access to a pulley and keeper. I put these cables in about 4 years ago as part of the rebuild but can't not remember which cable goes where . There is a longer cable and is that the top cable ? So can anybody give us a couple of ideas the position of the cables and which cable sits on which pulley down at the rear of the cargo compartment (floor level ) . I used sting to replace the cables as they were removed but a over lap of cables (twist) occurred and some good meaning helper screwed things up for me . The aircraft is a 170A serial no. 19006 and blue in color.
The cables removed are stainless steel and are perfect in condition but I do not know there history so they have to go.
Thanking you all in anticipation .
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Elevator rigging

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

To be clear, this is an Australian AD you are complying with right?

BTW this cable question gets asked about every 6 months with the last time being just a few weeks ago but I don't have the answer but sure someone does. If we don't already I guess it's about time to get a clear drawing on the forum. :roll:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
KS170A

Post by KS170A »

ghostflyer wrote:I put these cables in about 4 years ago as part of the rebuild but can't not remember which cable goes where . There is a longer cable and is that the top cable ? So can anybody give us a couple of ideas the position of the cables and which cable sits on which pulley down at the rear of the cargo compartment (floor level ) .
If you go with the stainless steel versions, the illustrated parts catalog, figure 61, indicates the 0510105-104 is the long cable, and the -115 is the short cable. These are the stainless steel versions of NAS314-27-1770 and NAS314-27-1760, which are the standard galvanized steel versions listed in figure 47. The second dash numbers are the lengths in inches and tenths of an inch. The -1770 is 177.0 inches, the -1760 is 176.0.

Figure 47 illustrates the SHORT cable (item #7, the -1760 or -115 if stainless) attaches to the top of the bellcrank in the back of the airplane. The long one (item #8, the -1770 or -104) then obviously goes on the bottom. It also appears from figure 47 that the shorter cable (attached to the top of the rear bellcrank) passes through the R/H pulley.

Hope this helps!
Attachments
Elevator Control.pdf
(110.58 KiB) Downloaded 688 times
--Josh
1950 170A
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Well Murphy's law exists . Firstly the bags with the part no.s didn't match the cables . The cables were of the correct part number but the bags had been swapped around at mc Farlane . Plus I found a cable had a twist around the other cable under the rear seat area where it's very hard to see. A very simple job having a most complex arrangement . This accessibility is nearly as bad as the access ability as under the floor of a 737. And that's BAD.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

To add misery to this job, I just read last week (but don't recall exactly where) an FAA concern about stainless cables setting up corrosion at their swaged steel end fittings due to dissimilarity of materials, and a requirement to replace more often as the result.

More happy news, right?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
minton

Post by minton »

The only thing I remember is when running the cables due to the bell crank and push rod arrangement what you would think is correct is reversed. Up being down (elevator travel) etc. :roll: It being winter here, I would offer to travel and fix your problem for an airline ticket :D Good luck!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yes, and the IPC has the direction/routing depicted incorrectly reversed, as I recall.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

To be clear, the C-170B IPC depicts the elevator cable routing incorrectly. The C170A IPC diagram which Josh attached above shows the correct routing.
Last edited by n2582d on Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I have obtained a copy of the Cessna Operational Manual 170series . It cost 1$ when the aircraft was built. Page 44 has a diagram and description of the elevators on the following pages. Thank you all for your input.
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

ghostflyer wrote:Well Murphy's law exists . Firstly the bags with the part no.s didn't match the cables . The cables were of the correct part number but the bags had been swapped around at mc Farlane . Plus I found a cable had a twist around the other cable under the rear seat area where it's very hard to see. A very simple job having a most complex arrangement . This accessibility is nearly as bad as the access ability as under the floor of a 737. And that's BAD.
The same thing happened to me just today. I checked part numbers on the bag and installed (they even have one bag marked Elevator Control Upper) and the throw is all wrong like one cable is too short. Going to swap them now.