What's the difference?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

mongo2

What's the difference?

Post by mongo2 »

Hello All,

I'm in the process of installing all new cables and pulleys to my 170A. Just a few questions:

170A IPC Page 86 , Fig 47
Item 11 0510160 Link
Item 12 0310103-1 Link

These attach to the elevator bellcrank. 11 is upper, and 12 is lower. What are the dimensions or differences of these links?
--------------------------------------

170A IPC Page 90 , Fig 49 Rudder cable assy

Items 8,9,10,11

Not accurate in description, i.e. barrel, eye, link, etc, but regardless,in the rudder bellcrank picture

-pn 0310219-2 links are the same, what might be their lengths?
-"eyes" are listed as -22S and -22L , so which side has which?

The aircraft was completely stripped of everything, so although I have the original links, and etc, I have long and short ones, as well as some confusion from the IPC.

One more thing, has anyone added an inspection panel on the belly LH side , just aft of the fuel valve, to get better access to the darn elevator cable pulley? My arms and patience are getting short. :cry:

Thanks for any help,
Rick
Rick Champagne
C-170A N5475C
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: What's the difference?

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

On the rudder cables. First things first. The cables should both be the same length. If they are not they are wrong. If you decipher the part number they should be 224.7" or very close.

Now look at the rudder pedal bars. Notice the left rudder bar is in front of the right rudder bar by about at "1 center to center. To make up for it the left turn buckle gets the 22L and the right gets the 22S. It is as simple as that and I believe the IPC shows it wrong.

I will have to measure the link I have at home tonight for you.

BTW when you adjust the rudder cables make sure you tighten the turn buckles enough to hold the pedals 6" from the fire wall measured between the firewall and the rudder pedal shaft. (item 35 or 43, figure 25, page 44 in the IPC). See this thread: http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... f=5&t=7530 (FTW mine are adjusting 6 1/2" from the firewall as 6" still allowed some inadvertent brake activation which is another story)
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
mongo2

Post by mongo2 »

Thanks for the info Bruce. Just to be clear , the left rudder cable (at the bars) does cross over to the right side , in the back, so then the longer eye or -L , would be on the right side at the Rudder bellcrank, correct?
In regards to the links , that would be great if you could clear up the numbers\sizes, etc. especially for the elevator. Basically I see them as just 2 different sizes as well, short, and long, and not sure which ones go with which bellcrank.
Short are about 2 1/4" hole to hole, Long I don't have a measurement for, and I believe those may go to the rudder bellcrank.

Thanks again ,
Rick
Rick Champagne
C-170A N5475C
Bruce Fenstermacher

Rick, yes the cables cross, but the run, as far as I can tell is not significantly different. The difference is the left rudder bar in front of the right. To make up for that the longer eye goes on the left cable turn buckle to extend the length to match the right cable and turn buckle with the short eye.

I only have the link for the rudder at home, not the elevator.

minton

Post by minton »

(IF) I say (IF) you have original cables etched on one end is the last two numbers of the part number. Thats the starting point, then measure them. There are two diffent cable lengths, two different tab lengths and two different turn barrel lengths. Go to the parts book and assemble as depicted. If and when you get new cables from a vendor etch them before you remove the parts tags. This goes for all cables. I believe the rudder cable situation is as Bruce sez, the cable is the same. The forward spring and the aft forks, metal tabs and turn barrels are what make it all work and rig properly. There again the parts book shows it all. Pay close attention to the gap from peddle to firewall and the proper rudder travel right to left (Stop adjustments). It's sort of a back and forth thing until you get it right. The only tension is byway of the return springs up front. When you are done the turn barrels are somewhat crowed looking on one side.

Good luck :D

Give a call if needed 907-345-9829
Bruce Fenstermacher

I think Minton is talking about the elevator cables and hardware.

The rudder cables are both the same part number as are the links and turn buckle barrels. The only difference on the rudder system are the short and long eyes. The original rudder links I have from my A model are 1.785" between hole centers.

mongo2

Post by mongo2 »

Thank you .So, I now understand the rudder situation, and know the link sizes used. That was helpful. I can identify the links accordingly and rig correctly.
In the elevator situation though, the IPC is not clear, and I was asking what is the difference between the 2 links listed.
There is only one type of barrel called out in that assy, AN155-32S, same as used in the rudder assy.
The links in the elevator bellcrank picture are 0510160 , qty.2 and 0310103-2, qty.2 and because of the ref numbers not being accurate, I was looking to see what their respective lengths were.
Maybe an easier way would be to ask is, if anyone has easy access to their elevator bellcrank, what are the lengths of the upper links, and the lower links.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! and thanks to all for your help.

Rick
Rick Champagne
C-170A N5475C
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I am replacing my elevator cables at the moment . Getting to that pulley just behind the fuel selector valve is not possible. So I have made a 6in inspection hole in the floor of the cabin. Did a heap of research to see if that area was major structure area but couldn't find any data on it. So thus treating it as a structural area. The floor area under the hole will receive a ring section of aluminium of 32 thou and riveted under the floor using counter sink 1/8. Rivets (dimple head) and spaced as standard practice. The inspection plate will be 32 thou (2024- T3 ) and will be attached using nas screws and spaced under standard practices. The reason is ,a AD is out regarding the age and potential corrosion that exists inside the area of where stainless cable is crimped to the turn barrel attach fitting . The rest of my cables were all changed about 3 years ago ,but the age and history of my elevator cables is unknown .
minton

Post by minton »

There are two lessons I've learned from working on planes.

1) Don't think you have the right parts installed after all there have been many annuals accomplished 8O

2) Always tag your parts at the moment they are removed using your parts book for proper numbers. :D (Take pictures!)
KS170A

Post by KS170A »

minton wrote:There are two lessons I've learned from working on planes.

1) Don't think you have the right parts installed after all there have been many annuals accomplished 8O

2) Always tag your parts at the moment they are removed using your parts book for proper numbers. :D (Take pictures!)
Having helpers with small arms/hands helps, too. During the reinstallation of new cables & pulleys in mine, I had my oldest daughter reach in with her arms that were long enough but much smaller diameter than mine to secure the nicely-located elevator pulley. 8)
--Josh
1950 170A
minton

Post by minton »

I think the engineers lye awake at night figuring these locations out :lol:
slimmorstad1

Post by slimmorstad1 »

I'm going through this old post asking for the lengths for the elevator links 0510160 the upper and 0310421-2 lower bellcrank link. Would anyone know the center hole to center hole for each link, and also lengths for the rudder links 0310219-2. Thanks for any help.