Winterization plate outline request

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Winterization plate outline request

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Decided I should build a new set of winterization plates. Yes I know all about foil or duct tape. Searched all over all my documentation and the forum and though we have talked about it and there have been pictures of the later version, we do not have outline tracings of the actual winterization plates.

I need the early plates but would be looking for both the early and later outlines for the library. Could some of you who have the actual Cessna plates please trace them, and then scan the tracings and either email me directly with them or attach them to this thread. Also include a few actual dimensions so I can be sure the template is 100% when printed.

Appreciate it.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
spduffee

Re: Winterization plate outline request

Post by spduffee »

I think I have them in the garage. They would be for the 170A, from 1950. I'll take a look here soon and get back.

Edit - this is what I have. I have seen the rest, somewhere. Is this what you need?
A.jpg
B.jpg
N5448C -1950 170-A
Bruce Fenstermacher

That is the one for the lower hole and yes that is what I'm looking for as well as the two for the top inlet. Of course the top ones are mirror images so only one tracing is necessary.

But I was hoping someone could trace the outline and maybe the screw slots on a piece of paper, then scan it to a jpg with maybe two marks that are an inch apart or another dimension so when it is printed the size can be checked.

The problem with a photo is you can never get the lens exactly perpendicular to the object so the outline will have persecutive and not be true.

This is easy for me because I have a scanner. I forget not everyone does.

I appreciate any effort though.

spduffee

Post by spduffee »

The part was scanned, flat on the scanner bed. I didnt have time to trace it, but i will and can then scan that for you. I would like to find the rest of the parts. Clutter abounds...
N5448C -1950 170-A
Bruce Fenstermacher

Shawn, I forgot about scanning the original. That is probably better to be honest than a tracing. I was wondering how you got the image so square. I already have a usable image for the main part and will be working on the back part next. The ruler was perfect. I had to blow up your image 168.421 percent to get it 1:1 with in about 1/64" tolerance. Closer than I can cut and finish the part anyway.

Hope you find the upper plate.

Thanks.

Bruce

spduffee

Post by spduffee »

Haha, i had to reduce the image because i couldn't upload it.
N5448C -1950 170-A
Bruce Fenstermacher

And just like that. After squaring and blowing up the image I carefully cut it out and traced it on to the Aluminum sheet. Half hour later we have a part that matches pretty well. Of course it is a flat part and fairly simple. On to the back parts then cut the slots and drill and rivet.
Photo on 10-31-13 at 7.54 PM.jpg

3958v

Post by 3958v »

Bruce Bring some paper Saturday and you can trace all three of the ones I have. Bill
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
Bruce Fenstermacher

Thanks Bill I'll do that and compare what I have made to the real thing.

Bruce Fenstermacher

One measurement can't be determined by a picture and that is the thickness of the material. If you guys have that I could make it out of the same size rather than just close.

Bruce Fenstermacher

Well I saw Bill's winterization plates. The main cowl plates are definitely original but at least some parts of the lower plate he had don't look like the IPC or the pictures posted. So his plate as far as originality has some question.

So here is my question regarding the lower plate. Is the fixed riveted bracket spaced away from the main plate by a spacer or are the tabs bend as it looks. Bills had a spacer.

Also Bills plates were made from .030 aluminum. Is that what others are made from?

spduffee

Post by spduffee »

Mine has a spacer of [at least] 3x the thickness of the part material.
N5448C -1950 170-A
Bruce Fenstermacher

So they do have spacers. I thought it looked in the picture like the back fixed bracket fingers were bent. I guess I'll have to remake mine.

I also got to measure Bills upper plates and I'm trying to figure out how to duplicate the bent edge on them. I've already made one sample but my method of forming the lip didn't work so well because the aluminum needs to be shrunk in the corners.

spduffee

Post by spduffee »

Sorry Bruce. I should have included a written description of the part when I posted it.
I still haven't found any other part. I know the previous owner had them all together in a ratty box. I hope I didn't pitch them....
N5448C -1950 170-A
Bruce Fenstermacher

Thanks everyone for your effort. After visiting with Bill and tracing and making notes of his plates I got to work studing youtube videos learning how to shrink and form aluminum to make the upper inlet baffles. (Same technique would be used to make the instrument overlays but that is another project).

Anyway I cut and routed a male form out of MDF to help form the plates. I used some .030 aluminum bought from Ace so I don't know the alloy but would guess 2024 or perhaps 3003. My first attempt was promising but the aluminum was to hard and I could not get it to shrink in around the corners.

On my second attempt I annealed the aluminum around the edges using the method of sooting up the sheet them burning the soot off with a neutral acetylene flame. This worked much better and I am very happy with the results. I used a leather mallet and a plastic mallet and formed the basic shape around the MDF. Then removed the sheet to use a round pipe the diameter of the curve as a anvil to shrink the aluminum. If the MDF were harder or my form was steel this wouldn't be necessary.

If I had an english wheel (maybe my next project) I probably could have removed even more dents and dings. But what I ended up with was a set of winter baffle plates that look like they've been around for 60 years. I need to get J bolts available at ACE from the Hillman Hardare to complete these but I'm thinking of another method of attachment using zip ties which would be easier and not require removal of the cowl for installation.
IMG_0381.jpg
As for the lower baffle I appreciate the measurement on the spacer. I had bent up the tabs for mine before I knew there was a spacer and it works pretty well. So I doubt I'll change mine but I will include the spacer detail with my documentation I'm gathering. Thanks for the offer to mail yours Arash but I think I have it covered.
IMG_0387.jpg
Though I don't need them myself I am still looking for good pictures, measurements and perhaps tracings or scans so one could build the later upper winterization plates.