Fire Extinguisher

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

C170U2

Fire Extinguisher

Post by C170U2 »

So I decided to buy a antique original style fire extinguisher for the 170. I found a beautiful example and couldn't resist. The polished brass really called my name. I looked at the parts manual and thought I would be able to install it under the pilot seat in the original configuration. I have been working on the seats and can't figure out any way to mount it with the skirts installed. Any suggestions on what to do. Back in the day if they installed a fire extinguisher did they just remove the skirts and call it good? Curious what you guys think. If not mounted under the seat where do you all think would be a good spot for it?

I understand this is a useless addition of weight to the plane but I really don't care....I like cool old things more than negligible decrease in climb performance. I carry a good Halon one in my flight bag that is easily accessible if needed and I can bring it with me in any plane I fly.
C170U2

Re: Fire Extinguisher

Post by C170U2 »

His install is really clean and looks great but I am looking to keep mine as close to original as possible. If they came from the factory with the skirts removed I might go that route. Who knows....I assume if the parts manual has it as an option a few must have come off the line skirtless. I have always been a fan of things that are skirtless, so maybe I will go that route. A fire extinguisher wasn't on my packing slip from the factory but neither were the Clevelands...

BTW, every time I look at Greg's project updates it makes me want to give up this originality thing and gut everything.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I've been looking for an original fire extinguisher myself.

I would not consider removing the original shirts and I don't believe Cessna did either. Instead I think the IPC just doesn't show the skirt in the IPC for clarity.

I also wouldn't be to much in a hurry to install it until we can confirm where and how it was done. Greg's plane, though I like it, is easy. What your are doing is much harder and I appreciate it that much more.

This is another example of a Cessna Accessory Kit for which there are instructions. Lets see if we can't find a copy for our library.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

AK7053-12 doesn't have much information in the way of drawings. But it appears that SK210-176 has superseded the fire extinguisher p/n 08--111-2. On page 9 of that Service Kit is this illustration which shows the "Typical Old Fire Extinguisher Installation" with the bottom of the bottle facing forward.
Fire Extinguisher Mounting.jpg
Fire Extinguisher Mounting.jpg (28.27 KiB) Viewed 9285 times
Having this polished brass art hidden under the seat as illustrated would be a shame. I'd try mounting it in front of the seat like Greg did.

As a side note, for those of us with halon fire extinguishers, I'd suggest mounting it in a spot where your passenger, (rather than the pilot), can access it. The most important thing a pilot needs to do in the event of an inflight fire is get the airplane on the ground NOW.
Last edited by n2582d on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:57 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Gary
Bruce Fenstermacher

Gary,

If you have AK7053-12 could you download it just so we have it. And while your at it since it seems you have a lot of these if you have any other instructions I'd like to see copies of them all in the library.

Thanks

C170U2

Post by C170U2 »

Thanks guys,

Now I have no idea what I am going to do with this thing. The mounting locations shown really don't seem to make sense and will not work with the skirts. For an item like a fire extinguisher, why on earth would you want it hidden almost out of reach. It should arrive this weekend and then I will start trying to install it somewhere. I will post a picture when I am done...or maybe I'll just use it as a paperweight. That's what I get for drinking a few beers and surfing ebay.
Bruce Fenstermacher

You know the devil is in the details. I've looked at that fire extinguisher, I can't tell you how many times in the IPC, and assumed it was mounted to the front of the seat. Now after looking at the SK Gary uploaded and his comments that they are mounted underneath on the side of the seat with the bottom of the bottle forward, the IPC picture is clear.

Looking close at the IPC the seat tube to the right in the picture (170A IPC) is larger than the tube on the left and to confirm that the Adel clams are different sizes. The bottle couldn't be mounted on the outside of the seat as it would hit the door or the center tunnel so it must be under the seat.

Remember the seat skirt is open in the back and that is how one is suppose to get to the extinguisher. It was probably never intended to be reached while seated inside the cockpit in flight but accessible on the ground. Not what we all have in mind.

I'd still mount it exactly the why Cessna shows it.

Found it on Ebay huh. Darn it maybe if I drink a couple of beers I'll find one.

Bruce Fenstermacher

Well I just looked on Ebay for brass fire extinguisher. I don't know why I never thought to do this before.

Seems there are two or three different manufacturers of the time period. From the IPC illustration of the mount it looks like the one Cessna sold might have been a Fyr Fyter and not the Pyrene when you compare the bottom.

Anyone know what Cessna sold?

C170U2

Post by C170U2 »

The one I got was manufactured by Fire End of New York. I have no clue if it is the right one but it looked most similar to the picture in the parts manual and it came with a mounting bracket that looked pretty close as well. And it only cost me 20 bucks. Gets here on Saturday!
C170U2

Post by C170U2 »

That would be cool if you could get them recharged. I'm only doing it for looks though.
If I need to fight a fire I will pull out the halon one in my flight bag.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I just noticed this thread ...(I've been busy this last week)...and I believe the extinguisher is mounted INside of the skirt, with the handle AFT. The intent is to allow anyone aboard easy access.

My halon bottle is mounted on the floor, beneath the rt/rear seat, where I can reach it from the pilot's seat.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

If or when I find one and mount it I would simply tag or mark it as unserviceable. Unless of course I can service it as I have experience. 8)

My parents house was equipped with a brass fire extinguisher probably mounted there by my great grand father who built the house in the late twenties. It was mounted to be used but usually had my Dad's sweet shirt hanging from it as no one considered it a viable fire extinguisher when I grew up.

When I was old enough to fool with such things I took it down and of course squirted it off into a corner of our unfinished basement. It was probably filled with carbon tetrachloride which of course I thought and treated as water. Anyway water is what I refilled it with and rehung it so as not to be caught. 8O It was not under pressure, you pumped the handle to squirt it like a big water pistol. It's a wonder I didn't chase my sisters with it. Can't remember if it was pre or post the BB gun terror days. :oops:

Wish I could get back into my parents old house. It is probably still there as I left it 5 years ago with Dads sweet shirt hanging from it though Dad has been gone more than 25 years.

Such memories from a simple fire extinguisher and probably why I've always wanted to find one for my plane.

Bruce Fenstermacher

All this talk of fire extinguishers reminds me of work.

We have two fire extinguishers mounted in our EMS helicopter as required by the FAA. These are your normal small red extinguishers. Nothing fancy. And of course we are required to brief any passengers about their existence and how and when to use them.

For normal passengers such as parents of kids we are transporting, I give the required information. I usually add that the extinguishers are great to use to break out of the helicopter should the door not open in an emergency and they would be great to put out a fellow passenger who might be unlucky enough to be on fire, but they are not to put out the helicopter should it be on fire.

Our medical crew members get a little extra brief when they are trained. You see they all carry drugs which can easily render someone unconscious. I tell them the fire extinguishers are good to put someone on fire out, and then if it is me putting them out I promise to use the fire extinguisher to knock them unconscious to alleviate their pain. After all it is the only tool I would have for such purpose. However should the rolls be reversed I remind them that after the fire is out that they have drugs to use on me to alleviate my pain. :D

johneeb

Post by johneeb »

DSCN2417.JPG
Attachments
DSCN2418.JPG
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Be carefull on which fire extinguisher you place in your aircraft . Yes the old brass ones look great but some of the early ones were not Harlon either which is toxic at some levels but some of the early ones had a extinguisher agent that was very toxic to humans . Yes they put the fire out but put you out also . It's banned in most countries . CTC when heated converts to phosgene gas and this is used in chemical weapons . Another lovely recipe used is methyl bromide and when heated converts to another very lethal gas . Another one that was used in aircraft in the early years is chlorolromomeeltane and it's has a great toxic value also. Yes ,they look great in there little cylinders but if you have a fire you want to survive .
So what's important in life ,good looks or your life . The gas given off these reagents when heated is almost instant death to the to the survivor to the fire .