Tail wheel mounting bracket and spring retainer

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

marathonrunner

Tail wheel mounting bracket and spring retainer

Post by marathonrunner »

I am looking for a tail wheel mounting bracket part number 0512154-1 I also already acquired a tail wheel spring retainer channel part number 0510000-31. Cessna has two left. I found the retainer did not have the bent up portion on the aft end during an annual of a 170 I had never seen. After removing it I then cleaned the bracket and found the cracks on either side towards the rear that were not visible from the outside.

In order to facilitate future installation of the upper channel bracket I did install nut plates so that the tail does not have to be removed to access the bolts and nuts in the rear bulkhead. I also did a walk around of several 170's and see that they have cracked channels and I do not know the condition of the brackets. I think this is an item that does not get very good inspection and should probably be looked at closely. I need a flashlight at high noon at my age to see anything and am finding these discrepancies...why are they being missed
It's not done till it's overdone
marathonrunner

Re: Tail wheel mounting bracket and spring retainer

Post by marathonrunner »

Oh yes, if anyone has the bracket contact me at this site or my email joel.wattum@yahoo.com.

Thanks
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

http://www.airrepairinc.com/
Joel, try these guys. I bought two from them, they also offer a later stronger version (Airrepair part number 0642156-10) than the one in our 170B parts catalog.
L-19 tailwheel spring bracket.jpg
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Joel, I'd bet we find cracks in this bracket at the aft end of many of the 170s we would inspect. Specially in the top plate from the corners of the rear tab. I suspect many, myself included, don't get very excited about the small cracks at the end of the aft brackets.

You would be surprised how many 170s you see that the tab that the U clamp fits over is completely missing and of course no U clamp. Most of the owners don't realize there is anything missing.

If you look at the picture John posted, which is from the L-19 military parts manual, this tab was changed and looks to be removed. If you buy this L-19 part however from Air Repair, it will have the tab as one would expect.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

Hey John, thanks for the information. I got one from Air Repair. They have 4, now 3 left in stock. Another member also contacted me and thinks he knnows of 3. The parts person at Air Repair told me he has sold almost 50 in the last two years.

Bruce, so if the clamp is missing or the parts are cracked is that considered airworthy? If so that would be great to know in the form of a letter from the FAA or Cessna. I am doing an annual inspection for this guy and do not believe I can sign it off as airworthy with these discrepancies. If I am wrong then it would be good to know for future. the owner also wants the parts replaced and I do not think he would go for leaving them as is.

I also took a walk around the airport in town and did in fact find other cracked channels and one with tab missing completely but it did have the clamp which appeared bent.
Grizzley

Post by Grizzley »

Good morning folks,
I am preparing for my 1st annual inspection on my '53 170B s/n:25455
This is a special plane; in 1958, someone paid to convert it to a tricycle and thankfully, it got converted back to conventional gear.
It has been in a ground loop and very well repaired. Being this is its first annual in my possession, everything is getting scrutinized. Installed BAS shoulder harnesses and new 406 ELT, waiting to find a competent (and small) AME to install the tail pull from BAS.
I replaced the tail spring stack or I should say am in the process of replacing the spring stack. I know, most prefer to changge the main spring only, but this way I know the condition of all the springs.
It already has the tail kit installed but I found the U-bolt bent at the ends and the shackle or stiffner cracked next to one of the holes. I thought it would be easy to find... But not really.
I could not find a 1-1/2" square U-bolt. I know I can get (make) a channel that would replace the stiffner.
The part numbers I got from the drawing are
#5- 0510000-33 stiffner and #6- 0510000-32 U-bolt

Can anyone help me source these parts,
Thank you,
JD
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

JD, the last time I bought those about two years ago I got them from Air Repair. (See one of the posts above for a link to them.) The U-bolt, 170B p/n 0510000-32, is the same as L-19 p/n 0642133. The "stiffner" bracket/channel, 170B p/n 0510000-33, is the same as L-19 p/n 0642130. But you should be able to use the C-170B part numbers with Air Repair. They know the interchangable part numbers.

My records from the time show that Univair and cessnaparts.com were also sources for the stiffner (using the C-170B part number), but I don't show any source for the U-bolt other than Air Repair (although that does not mean another does not exist - just that I did not find one at the time.)
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
Grizzley

Post by Grizzley »

Thank you, I reached out to Air Repair
Grizz