Cessna recommends Extreme Simple Green

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

pdb

Cessna recommends Extreme Simple Green

Post by pdb »

What's the world coming to?

Cessna now recommends Extreme Simple Green for use on the Citation as part of the surface preparation cleaning regimen before the application of anti corrosion agents. Note that "Other Simple Green Cleaners are not approved for use" and the letter contains a warning that other Simple Green products are corrosive. It also contains a warning that the ESG must be rinsed off and not allowed to dry on the surface before the application of the anti corrosion agents.

See Cessna Citation Service Letter CIL-99-01-R01 - Use of Corrosion Inhibiting Compounds - Compliance: I - Date: 02/15/2013 for the full details.

If its good enough for a Citation, it's probably good enough for my 170.
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
GAHorn

Re: Cessna recommends Extreme Simple Green

Post by GAHorn »

I posted CIL-99-01 in the MX Library and offered my own experience with "Extreme Simple Green".

I eagerly awaited the product when it was first offered on the market after the USAF found Simple Green to be corrosive to aircraft aluminum and condemned the product for use on military aircraft.

When the Simple Green folks sent me a bottle (of Extreme Simple Green) as a promotionary gift specifying it's safety for use on aircraft aluminum, I used it on my left aileron/flap as a mild cleaner. It instantly STAINED the plain aluminum with a "blotchy-anodized" appearance, and the stain cannot be polished off.
When I complained to Simple Green about it I was accused of deliberately exaggerating and attempting to denigrate their product. When I offered to allow them to inspect my aircraft...they insisted that I bring it to them at my expense, and their representative came to these forums (in a seperate action) and made further accusations against me, even going so far as to intimate that I was being unfair to them in making my experiences public in these forums. (Doh!)

I used their spray bottle of soap to kill wasps by spraying them directly....with quite satisfactory results...it kills them quickly and effectively. It is the only use for which I can recommend it other than to wash cheap bicycles and garbage-cans.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Post by 170C »

George, I still have a partial bottle of that Simple Green Extreme myself that was sent to me FREE :!: I have used it several times on bugs on the cowling below the prop and so far it hasn't eaten any holes in my cowling. Of course I wipe it off after letting it set for a couple of minutes. Also that nose bowl is a part of the plane that is GREEN and that GREEN is TOUGH STUFF :mrgreen: I hadn't thought of using the remainder as wasp or mud dobber killer 8O I might have to give it a try.

Seriously George we appreciate your input into all things 170 related, but we wish you would stop holding back and give us your REAL opinion :lol: :lol: Let us know how you really feel :wink:

Have a good one :D

Frank
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Well,..one thing GREEN does fast.....it quickly stained my flap and aileron.
Otherwise, I like it a lot.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

I'm with George, any company that makes a product that is harmful to aircraft does not get ANY of my business, even if they claim their "new and improved" product is supposedly safe, I don't trust them. NO Simple Green product will ever get close to my airplanes!

There are plenty of excellent products out there that do not damage anything and do a good job. Any of the WashWaxAll products fall in that catagory and their customer service is good, not predatory toward customers.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!