Removing the fuel tank.....

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

lowNslow

Re: Removing the fuel tank.....

Post by lowNslow »

Direct quote from CAR 3:

(a) The word "fuel," the minimum
permissible fuel octane number for the engines
installed, and the usable fuel tank capacity. (See
§ 3.437.)
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote: Boy of boy I can't wait for convention to point out the deficient aircraft markings. :lol:
You're not allowed near my plane as the only thing marked is the Engine Primer 8O
N2255D

Post by N2255D »

I'm cheap so I used these http://www.aircraft-spruce.com/catalog/ ... ards11.php and added "usable fuel 18.5 gal" with a tape embosser. So far they've lasted 14 years and the embossed labels were replaced by Ptouch labels about 10 years ago. My airplane is never refueled unless I'm there.
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

For those of you with fuel STC's, you should re-read your STC installation instructions to be certain your fuel placard meets those. (I'll bet there's an ASTM specification which must be listed.) :wink:

I'm just guessing, but I'll bet bluEldr refuses to carry any Porkers in his travels to the outback campouts to which he flys. (No Ham Fat) :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
N2255D

Post by N2255D »

[quote="gahorn"]For those of you with fuel STC's, you should re-read your STC installation instructions to be certain your fuel placard meets those. (I'll bet there's an ASTM specification which must be listed.) :wink:

Oh you mean kinda like this one
09-42814.jpg
09-42814.jpg (10.35 KiB) Viewed 29787 times
from here http://www.aircraft-spruce.com/catalog/ ... ards11.php ?
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Here is the page from the EAA Mogas STC that covers required placards.
EAA Mogas stc.jpg
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Please note that the EAA placard must be in addition to, and adjacent to, the existing, required aviation gasoline and capacity placard.

(I'd hate for bluElder to lay awake at night worrying about you guys falling out of the sky.) :wink:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
N2255D

Post by N2255D »

gahorn wrote:Please note that the EAA placard must be in addition to, and adjacent to, the existing, required aviation gasoline and capacity placard.

(I'd hate for bluElder to lay awake at night worrying about you guys falling out of the sky.) :wink:
I guess I'll just have to live with the consequence when they find out I have both combined into one decal! :roll:
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)
N2255D

Post by N2255D »

Oh wait, Maybe I could cut the decal in half just above the "or" and then put usable gallons on the bottom of the top half of the decal. would that make it legal? I would make sure the two would not touch so you could see they were separate or maybe I should put a black line on the bottom of the top half and a black line on the top of the bottom half. But wait do I need the usable fuel as part of the top half decal or can it be adjacent to the decal. I'm sooo confused :cry: Been flying illegal all these years.
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

johneeb,
You will notice that the EAA STC for "Unleaded" mogas is dated back in May 1984. I believe that was shortly before the federal requirement for the removal of all lead from automobile fuel. The EAA STC program was sponsored by a particular vendor of mogas whose products were avertised as "Unleaded" even prior to the federal regulation.
This particular company did not market out west here in California and as a result we generally bought the Peterson STC, at $.50/HP., since it did not limit you to an unleaded fuel which would have been unavailable locally. We were still using leaded auto fuel here and all regular grade fuel was leaded, though still not as heavily as even 80/87 octane av gas.
I remember that when it was announced that all mogas would have to go unleaded there was a ton of dire predictions and hand wringing about valve seats and "Lubrication " of valves, etc., none of which turned out to be the case.
It was pretty much the same when they started requiring "oxygenated" fuel containing ethanol, ethyl alcohol. I have two later ('96 and '99) Fords, a '63 Ford, two 200 cc Vespa motor scooters, a 250 cc ATV, two generators, a pump, and a lawn mower, all of which seem to be thriveing on this disgusting alcohol laced fuel. I , naturally, would much prefer pure gasoline, but it is just not locally available here, so I make do with what I can conviently acquire. I never noticed any adverse effects on my airplane either.
BL
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:New gaskets are easy to make locally out of gasket material that can be found at NAPA among other places. I have made and uploaded templates to be copied so you can make the gaskets and be satisfied with the results before you remove the tank.

http://www.cessna170.com/forums/viewtop ... ff076e6f26
Bruce, what material should I use? What thickness? I see cork, nitrile, urethane, and in many different thicknesses. I don't want to spend over $100 for the McFarlane gaskets, but I sure don't want to experiment, or have to do the job over, either.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I used cork. The tank gaskets as I measured indicated 1/16t" but I successfully used 3/32". I used cork but Buna-N would be appropriate. This is what I noted on my drawings at the link.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Ok, here we go! Fel-Pro 3018 cork-rubber, 10" x 26", 1/16" thick. $7 at AutoZone. I'll use the money I saved to buy a leather punch to make neat holes.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

N2255D wrote:Oh wait, Maybe I could cut the decal in half just above the "or" and then put usable gallons on the bottom of the top half of the decal. would that make it legal? I would make sure the two would not touch so you could see they were separate or maybe I should put a black line on the bottom of the top half and a black line on the top of the bottom half. But wait do I need the usable fuel as part of the top half decal or can it be adjacent to the decal. I'm sooo confused :cry: Been flying illegal all these years.
TOTAL capacity must be labelled/used at the filler (although useable may also be posted at anytime.) Useable fuel is placarded inside the cockpit.
170C

Post by 170C »

Just curious how many gallons you are able to get into those 21 gallon tanks. 19.6 is max I can get.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018