Removing the fuel tank.....

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Removing the fuel tank.....

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

CAR 3
MARKINGS AND PLACARDS
§ 3.755 Markings and placards. (a) The
markings and placards specified are required for
all airplanes. Placards shall be displayed in a
conspicuous place and both shall be such that
they cannot be easily erased, disfigured, or
obscured. Additional informational placards and
instrument markings having a direct and
important bearing on safe operation may be
required by the Administrator when unusual
design, operating, or handling characteristics so
warrant.

The Sharpie shown earlier will work fine.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
roamak

Post by roamak »

Man Im glad you are posting what you find. Still a couple weeks out from getting to mine. Plus mine are full of gas so that means I have to go flying..... and I hate leaving my tanks empty...... :wink:
Greg
N87045
'53 170B
0-360 180H.P.
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

bagarre wrote:I'm not sure of the exact part number, I was just referring to what looked close in that diagram. I think the diagram was pointing to the union and not the fuel line...........
Sorry David, after looking at my own fuel pick up at the tank I relized I do not have a right angle fuel pickup elbow either. I thought we were looking at a picture of the fuel tank vent cross over pipe.

sorry the picture is not clearer, how do I manage to get out of focus pictures with a digital camera?
Fuel supply line at tank.jpg
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
jlwild

Post by jlwild »

Aryana, you asked about the rubber tube around the "L" shaped gas line. It is for chaffing protection. Don't ask why I know, but I replaced the 6" line and chaffing on my plane when I removed and repaired my gas tanks on 15D. 8O
Jim Wildharber, Kennesaw, GA
Past President TIC170A (2010-12) and Georgia Area Representative
'55 170B, N3415D, SN:26958, O-300D; People's Choice '06 Kelowna, B.C., Best Modified '07 Galveston, TX, Best Modified '08 Branson, MO.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Anyone wanting that strainer...I have two in the Cessna pkgs. 1/4th price! :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
jlwild

Post by jlwild »

Aryana, You are now finding the errors in the IPC 8O . There are three errors I have found with Fig. 7 on Page 14 and Fig 2 on Page 4 in the IPC.

The first is the item 25, fuel tank adapter gasket. The illustration only shows one gasket; yet, the parts list indicates 2 required per assembly. Missing in the illustration is the second gasket which is located inside the tank. The powerpoint slides Bruce posted for me show how to install the second gasket. Without this gasket your tank will leak.

The second error is the strainer assembly, item 38. On the late model 170B's the elbow is not present. Again look at your tank or my pictures to see what you have.

The third is item 33, filler neck. Mine is welded to, not threaded, into tank flange (not shown in illustration). Again see my pictures or look at your tank to see what you have.

These errors are also present in Figure 13-8 of the 1962 and Prior Service Manual. :x

For others that are new to IPC errors, George and Bruce have also documented the errors with Figure 64, Fuel Selector valve assembly :D . There are several threads on this topic on the forum.
'55 170B, N3415D, SN:26958, O-300D; People's Choice '06 Kelowna, B.C., Best Modified '07 Galveston, TX, Best Modified '08 Branson, MO.
jlwild

Post by jlwild »

Congratulations and nicely done.
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

WOW! This really motivates me to do the same to 81D....as soon as it warms up a little outside.
No hanger :(
roamak

Post by roamak »

Man that tank turned out nice! Mine has been pushed back again for another few weeks....but this thread is getting bookmarked for future reference.
Greg
N87045
'53 170B
0-360 180H.P.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Well your not following CAR 3. It is not AVGAS it is FUEL. And you list the usable amount not the max.

These are the minimum things that it must have. You can voluntarily put anything else there like AVGAS and the max cap.

So to cover CAR 3 it needs to say:

Fuel 80 Min Oct.
18.5gal Usable

Or to cover CAR 3 and FAR 23 it needs to say:

Fuel Avgas 80 Min Oct
21gal Max 18.5gal Usable

n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Aryana wrote:
Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:The following information shall be
marked on or adjacent to the filler cover ...
Sec. 23.1557
[(1) Fuel filler openings must be marked at or near the filler cover with ...
... I just bought new fuel caps...would it be legal to have this info painted on the cap itself?
I think you answered your own question. Keep your caps chained to the filler neck and you can mark the cap. :wink: Personally I wouldn't chain the cap though. It makes a lot of beating the wing to death noise when the cap comes off or is inadvertently left off. Don't ask me how I know. :oops: I would place the placard beyond the filler port--toward the center of the wing cord--so it is less likely to get scratched when refueling.

In the late '70's there seemed to be a rash of misfueling accidents where line boys put jet fuel in recip aircraft and vice versa. That's when Cessna ripped off the "Turbo" labels on their T210's, put nozzle restrictors on fuel filler ports, etc. It's also when GAMA added blue and green to the fuel placards octane listing. This label is typical of that push to reduce misfueling.
FSP-001.JPG
Here's what Cessna uses on their 1978 C-172N.
Fuel Placard.jpg
But enough about placards! You're in danger of missing the forest for the trees. Safety-wise the priority should be on installing those shoulder harnesses. That was something I encouraged my father-in-law to install in his club's 172. After a club member crashed the plane in the Sierras and had several reconstructive surgeries to his battered face my father-in-law said he should of listened.
Gary
Bruce Fenstermacher

CAR 3 says "on or adjacent to the filler cover". FAR 23 says "at or near the filler cover"

So if you want to keep everyone happy (you only have to comply with CAR 3) you should put it "adjacent, at or near" which complies with both but not on the filler cap as that does not comply with FAR 23.

Boy of boy I can't wait for convention to point out the deficient aircraft markings. :lol:

bagarre

Post by bagarre »

How much did the decals cost?
Maybe we should make a bulk order and make them available at the conference.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I just stenciled mine to read "NO HAM FAT". It will burn too, you know and works surprisingly well in an engine of the technology of a C-145.
BL
Bruce Fenstermacher

Aryana wrote:And should it really be useable or usable?
imgres.jpeg
imgres.jpeg (5.96 KiB) Viewed 38675 times
I can only refer you back to the CAR and FAR I posted. Neither calls for the total fuel the tank can hold.

I would not put it behind or down wind of the fuel port so the fuel splashed or run overboard can wash it off.

I also would not likely spend so much on two labels when I could buy a Brother P-touch starting at $29 and make lots of labels. OK I'll come clean I wouldn't buy a P-touch either, I'd borrow one from my wife or from work. :roll: