Trailing edge skin spot weld question

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Douglas

Trailing edge skin spot weld question

Post by Douglas »

In the process of installing flap trailing edge extrusions, I find that my flaps were assembled with 3 spot welds in-between each little v rib (1948 170A). It looks like it would take at minimum a 1/8" hole to drill them out. When I look at other posts I see two 3/32 rivets between the ribs. I haven't tried drilling any out yet, I'm concerned that a 1/8" drill won't remove all the welded area and then I will have to risk stretching the skin forcing it apart or drilling to 5/32 and having a lot of large rivets. I could also try to set up a flat faced bit to machine through one half of the weld, drill separate 3/32 rivet holes and fill the fly-cut spot weld holes with filler epoxy. Any recommendations?
hilltop170

Re: Trailing edge skin spot weld question

Post by hilltop170 »

Seems like it would be easier to re-skin them.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

In between each ? diamond, ouch! How many holes do you think you'll end up with?
New skins are relatively easy to install, (a few hard rivets to get to at the wedges) if you have a solid straight edge jig to hold the trailing edge true to the front spar.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Hmmm makes me wonder out loud. "Are you using a STC to install the edge bulb and does it cover the '48 which seem to be welded at the training edge"
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Larry Holtz

Post by Larry Holtz »

I had made repairs using rivits in several places on my '48 over the years. Last year I reskinned them. Much better.

Larry
FredMa

Post by FredMa »

I would drill them to the smaller size like you want then slide a thin steel putty knife between the skins and gently tap the handle with a hammer to seperate the remaining spot weld. I believe they were of pretty poor quality anyway. It should come apart pretty easily.
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Fred you may have more skill in this process but when I've tried to split stuff apart the welds were not evenly spaced nor were the diameter of the welds.
So I was thinking much like you thoughts but then I had a vision of a trailing edge with holes in an erratic pattern plus the possibility of making an occasional tear. Again my vision is coupled to my past experiences with spot welds and flimsy flap trailing skin edges. Maybe I don't have the same amount of patience.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Is this a necessary repair or a desired modification? I've wanted to do this mod ever since the first time I blasted the trailing edge with my forehead :|

If its a needed repair, it sounds like re-skinning would be easier and look better in the end.
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Well, Mc Farlane says that my flaps require re-skinning to install the trailing edge stiffener. I mentioned to them that a note to that effect would have saved me a lot of head scratching. BTW on Mc Farlane's and Spruce's websites the part is listed as approved for the 170 & 170A but a close reading of the PMA approval of this part only lists it for the 170B.
Thanks for the comments, I hope this helps someone else.
learaviator

Post by learaviator »

Douglas wrote:Well, Mc Farlane says that my flaps require re-skinning to install the trailing edge stiffener. I mentioned to them that a note to that effect would have saved me a lot of head scratching. BTW on Mc Farlane's and Spruce's websites the part is listed as approved for the 170 & 170A but a close reading of the PMA approval of this part only lists it for the 170B.
Thanks for the comments, I hope this helps someone else.
As a matter of fact it did help me...Thanks!!
"You can only tie the record for flying low"
1950 170A N9907A 180hp. STOL