Generator question and challenges

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

KenyaSkies

Generator question and challenges

Post by KenyaSkies »

Hi All

Nick here in Kenya. I am having major challenges with my ragwing generator. After many attempts to sort it out I have ordered a refurbished Delco Remy generator set from Aircraft Spruce which is taking a long time to get here but should arrive in the next week.

The generator is coming from Aircraft Spruce, generator and core: O/H 1101890 DEL GENERATOR 12V CERTIFIED Part #: 07-00088 Mfr Part #: 1101890 and FALCON GENERATOR CORE Part #: 07-19017.

My question: Am I set to fit the generator and core straight on or are there a bunch of extras that I have missed. If so what else do I need to order. There is a chap coming to Kenya from California in a week or so. Please let me know if I have missed any thing in my order that I need to get so that the generator can be fitted.

Thank and looking forward to your feedback.

Nick
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Generator question and challenges

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

NIck, what is FALCON GENERATOR CORE Part #: 07-19017.?

Assuming you have a C-145-2,2H,0-300A, B or C then the Delco Mfr Part #: 1101890 is a 20 amp generator that you should be able to bolt your old gear onto and install. No other modifications. You DID keep the gear from your old generator didn't you?

Also is the #: 1101890 the generator you had? If not and just for good measure anyway you need to determine what regulator you have. They must match. If your regulator is a 25 or 35 (or larger) it will cause the generator to produce more amps than it is capable.

Also the gasket for the generator also goes behind the tack drive fixture just above the generator. You MUST replace the entire gasket as a whole under both. Do not try to cut it into two gaskets. Many have tried, many have failed.

As you are foiling with the tach drive housing, why not replace the seal in it.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Bruce Fenstermacher

Never mind I figured out what your talking about with the Falcon

From Spruce

Part Number Description Price Qty Buy
07-19017 FALCON GENERATOR CORE 250.00 $250.00

The other listings they have:

Under Delco overhauled by ?
  • Mfr. PN Description Volts Amps Drive Our PN Price
    1101890 O/H 1101890 GENERATOR 12V 20A Gear 07-00088 $308.00
And AeroTech
  • Mfr. PN Description Volts Amps Drive Our PN Price Core Buy
    1101890 O/H 1101890 GENERATOR 12V 20A Gear 08-14786 $357.00 $200.00
All of these are Declo generators overhauled by in the first case an unknown company, Falcon and AeroTech. Personally I'd deal with AeroTech. They are good people and have supported our association in the past. Lots of good info on their site.

Are you sending a core back regardless? Then it's a wash price wise for shipping. If you not sending a core for the unknown rebuilt and Falcon buying the AeroTech may be cheaper at $157 after core shipping.

Bruce Fenstermacher

Another thought if you want to open a larger can of worms. Specially if you have to get a voltage regulator. Many people would take the time to upgrade to 35 amps. Price for equipment is the same. BUT you need to insure that your wiring from the generator to the bus bar is adequate for the higher potential load.

Last thought. If I was buying a voltage regulator I'd be really interested in replacing the mechanical style (old school) with a Zephtronics electronic voltage regulator.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... csreg3.php About $215

n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote: Many people would take the time to upgrade to 35 amps. ... BUT you need to insure that your wiring from the generator to the bus bar is adequate for the higher potential load.
A dampened crankshaft is also required for the 35 amp generator.
Gary
pdb

Post by pdb »

.[/quote]A dampened crankshaft is also required for the 35 amp generator.[/quote]

How will he know if he has a dampened crankshaft?
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

pdb wrote:
How will he know if he has a dampened crankshaft?
If it's C-145 there will be a D somewhere in the engine serial number. If it's an O-300 it should have one anyway. Of course, this assumes that there were no undocumented changes to the engine along the way.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

I recently ordered the Delco 1101890 unit from Aircraft Spruce. The one I received had a Falcon Aero sticker on it. Like others have said you will need to remove the gear and break away bushing. If the bushing (626543) is loose you may want to replace it while you are there.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 8.58.52 PM.png
IMG_8274.JPG
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
Bruce Fenstermacher

And what ever you do, DON'T loose the nut. You will never find another thin enough to fit right. Or maybe I'm thinking of mag gear nuts.

Just be careful.

sfarringer

Post by sfarringer »

And don't forget the o-ring (item 13 in the picture above).
Ragwing S/N 18073
KenyaSkies

Post by KenyaSkies »

Thanks for the feedback. I do have the old generator, but was hoping the new one just bolts on with a new gasket! Non clear from your responses if that is the case. Does the refurbished generator not arrive as a complete unit ready to go?

I have spare seals and bushes and gasket.

I did not understand the double gasket don't cut them into two advice - I am expecting one gasket on the back end as I bolt it to the engine...

Regards,

Nick
KenyaSkies

Post by KenyaSkies »

Hi again - thanks again for the feedback. I have as a result of your feedback discovered my problem has grown!! Having been advised to buy a 20A generator I see my generator which is leaking oil and making horrible grinding noises is a 35A 1101917 which is hard to find. I can stop the order for the 20A generator which is due to ship next Tuesday (my regualtor is 35A), or I can go with the 20A generator and find a 20A regulator. Advice needed please.

Thank you,

Nick
KenyaSkies

Post by KenyaSkies »

Or should I switch to an alternator? If so which one and where do I find one?

Nick
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

You could get the 20A to work for you with LED lighting etc.but I would go with the 35amp. It doesn't hurt to have a little head room when it comes to electrical. They would probably take your 35A core for a 20A generator but may not take a 20A core for a 35A if you change your mind later.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Personally I would but the bullet and go for a alternator and a solid state regulator. When I had my continental in my aircraft ,I put in a 60 amp alternator and a solid state regulator. It was heaven , even on the idle it was charging and no red light on when taxiing . Even on down ward leg of the circuit and approach all,charging with landing lights on and full electrical load . To me the battery is a emergency supply and something needed for starting.