$100 Hamburger MID WEST (OH,KY,IL,IN,MI,WI,WV)

A place to list good $100 Hamburger locations as well as discussion on any interesting place you can fly your 170.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

$100 Hamburger MID WEST (OH,KY,IL,IN,MI,WI,WV)

Post by GAHorn »

Post your favorite airport eating places (and contact numbers) here for MIDWEST US.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Missionbound

Great Burger

Post by Missionbound »

Sky Gallery at Cincinnati Lunken airport is a great place to eat. They are open most nights till like 9:00 pm local. Couldnt find the number. sorry.
GAHorn

Re: Great Burger

Post by GAHorn »

Missionbound wrote:Sky Gallery at Cincinnati Lunken airport is a great place to eat. They are open most nights till like 9:00 pm local. Couldnt find the number. sorry.
Sky Galley. 262 Wilmer Ave , Lunken Airport Terminal Cincinnati, OH 45226
ph: 513-871-7400
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
TJT

Post by TJT »

Longley's 608-524-6497 right across the road from Reedsburg, WI Airport (C35)

Nice people and great food.
4-Shipp

quincy Illinois - UIN

Post by 4-Shipp »

Nice restaurant overlooking the airport at Quincy (UIN). Good food at a good price. They used to have a carp/catfish special on Fridays. Don't know if they still do.

Had lunch there one summer day in 1979. Got the open faced roast beef with mashed potatoes and a wife. Quite a place! :wink:

The sandwich is long gone but the wife is still here, God bless her!

Bruce
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B
pojawis

Re: $100 Hamburger MID WEST (OH,KY,IL,IN,MI,WI,WV)

Post by pojawis »

Owosso, MI - (RNP): Crosswinds Cafe. Reputed to have exceptional breakfasts. They say RNP stands for "Real Nice People". One asphalt runway (10-28) and two turf runways (18-36 and 06-24).
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

pojawis wrote:Owosso, MI - (RNP): Crosswinds Cafe. Reputed to have exceptional breakfasts. They say RNP stands for "Real Nice People". One asphalt runway (10-28) and two turf runways (18-36 and 06-24).
After that, walk a mile or two into town and visit the Steam Railroading Institute (http://www.mstrp.com/index.php) where they have live steam locomotives in operation.

John
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

jrenwick wrote:
pojawis wrote:Owosso, MI - (RNP): Crosswinds Cafe. Reputed to have exceptional breakfasts. They say RNP stands for "Real Nice People". One asphalt runway (10-28) and two turf runways (18-36 and 06-24).
After that, walk a mile or two into town and visit the Steam Railroading Institute (http://www.mstrp.com/index.php) where they have live steam locomotives in operation.

John
I'm not sure why I didn't already know about this place. Karen is from Ann Arbor and went to college in East Lansing.... I think I'll put this on the list of places to go after the Duluth Convention.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

cessna170bdriver wrote:I'm not sure why I didn't already know about this place. Karen is from Ann Arbor and went to college in East Lansing.... I think I'll put this on the list of places to go after the Duluth Convention.
If she was in E.L. in the '70s, she may remember the steam locomotive that was parked south of the football stadium on campus. That's now in operation in Owosso, after at least 20 years of work on it by a bunch of dedicated volunteers. It was the model for the locomotive in the movie "Polar Express" a few years ago....

John
cessna170bdriver

jrenwick wrote:
cessna170bdriver wrote:I'm not sure why I didn't already know about this place. Karen is from Ann Arbor and went to college in East Lansing.... I think I'll put this on the list of places to go after the Duluth Convention.
If she was in E.L. in the '70s, she may remember the steam locomotive that was parked south of the football stadium on campus. That's now in operation in Owosso, after at least 20 years of work on it by a bunch of dedicated volunteers. It was the model for the locomotive in the movie "Polar Express" a few years ago....

John
I asked her last night if she knew of Owosso, and she didn't (we'll take care of that on our next trip). She was at State from'74-'78. The Steam Railroading Institute web page says they "began the journey to restore #1225 in 1969", so it may not have been there when she was. I'll pass this along to her.

Miles
Miles

— Thomas Browne
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

cessna170bdriver wrote:I asked her last night if she knew of Owosso, and she didn't (we'll take care of that on our next trip). She was at State from'74-'78. The Steam Railroading Institute web page says they "began the journey to restore #1225 in 1969", so it may not have been there when she was. I'll pass this along to her.
The 1225 was donated to MSU back in the '50s when steam locomotives went out of service. It sat on the campus for many years. In '69 a group of enthusiasts got permission to restore it and started working on it where it sat. That went on throughout the '70s (I did a little bit of work on it myself, because I had a sand blaster at home). They got as far as firing it up and tooting the whistle, then they had to find a permanent home for it. I don't remember exactly when they moved it to Owosso, but it was in the late '80s or early '90s. I've been a supporter of this project for many years, but I haven't seen it under steam yet.

I love that you would go over there and see it. What a great trip!

John
cessna170bdriver

jrenwick wrote:The 1225 was donated to MSU back in the '50s when steam locomotives went out of service. It sat on the campus for many years. In '69 a group of enthusiasts got permission to restore it and started working on it where it sat. That went on throughout the '70s (I did a little bit of work on it myself, because I had a sand blaster at home). They got as far as firing it up and tooting the whistle, then they had to find a permanent home for it. I don't remember exactly when they moved it to Owosso, but it was in the late '80s or early '90s. I've been a supporter of this project for many years, but I haven't seen it under steam yet.

I love that you would go over there and see it. What a great trip!

John
Thanks for the info, John! I'm sure Karen will remember the locomotove.

I inherited from my Dad the love of just about anything that moves under its own power. He was never able to pass a steam locomotive without taking a closer look, and neither have I. We dabbled with steam engines when I was a teenager. We had an old boiler, and even bought out a guy's basement full of coal when he switched his furnace to gas. We never got the boiler to even hold water on a hydro test, so we usually just ran the engines and whistles on air.

Miles
Miles

— Thomas Browne
eyeflyone2

Post by eyeflyone2 »

68C-Iola Central County (WI) Friday lunch, great collection of visiting aircraft for lunch, with campground on north end of X grass runways. Tavern with fish fry just 8 minute walk north.
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

Well, we haven't set a date,yet but it will be in the first two weeks in September as always..I'll get more info as the time arises but it will be the cross and cockade, Ox-5 Engine fly in at our place...Hope to see you all there......Brad
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

You will get NO hamburger here: And be prepared to spend more than $100.
I stopped in LOU, Bowfield, Louisville, KY over the weekend. Right there on the field is this very nice french restaurant in the old 1929 terminal building. What a treat and I can not wait to have the opportunity to do it again.

http://www.lerelaisrestaurant.com/about.html

Le Relais Restaurant Français
Situated in the historic Bowman Field airport terminal, Le Relais offers a grand dining experience like no other in Louisville. You'll enjoy exquisite French cuisine, prepared with only the finest, freshest ingredients, and first-class service in a relaxed, intimate, 1940s art-deco atmosphere, reminiscent of the café from the movie "Casablanca."
Curtis
1950 A model 1256D