$100 Hamburger NORTHWEST (WA,OR,ID,WY,MT)

A place to list good $100 Hamburger locations as well as discussion on any interesting place you can fly your 170.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

$100 Hamburger NORTHWEST (WA,OR,ID,WY,MT)

Post by GAHorn »

Post your favorite airport eating places (and contact numbers) here for North West US.
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

The Spruce Goose, Port Townsend, 0S9. It doesn't make any pretentions of being a high class establishment, the food was just good, and I loved the pie.
Jeanie's Spruce Goose Cafe 360-385-3185

http://www.airnav.com/airport/0s9
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

The Taildragger Cafe at Elma (4W8) has pretty good food. By the way, the new Washington Pilot's Guide will be coming out this month. Out of 143 airports pictured in the guide, I took the pictures of 60 of them for the guide out of my 170B. Damn I love my job!

Joe
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

Sunriver, Or. S21 is another one I liked. It's a bit more upscale, but very friendly. Tie down at the airport, and they will have a bus come out to drive you over to the lodge. I guess people used to just walk across the runway and across the field to the lodge, but I was told they were trying to discourage that

Joe, I think I've got job envy 8)
fishdoc

Re: $100 Hamburger NORTHWEST (WA,OR,ID,WY,MT)

Post by fishdoc »

Flew in to Shelton (KSHN) this past Saturday. The cafe attached to Skydive Kapowsin has great food at a very reasonable price. 360-432-8000.
Avgas was $4.75 which was cheaper than I have found for quite some time.
The skydivers 8O provided great entertainment.
Cool place to visit.
1952 170B (with the sexy rounded tail)
Showboatsix

Post by Showboatsix »

Try the resturant at the airport in Independence Oregon (7S5), The Starduster Cafe , Pretty girls, good food, great atmosphere, stop in.
UAO, Aurora Oregon
Hanger 26
56' C-172, With Conventional Gear Conversion
S/N 28963
N6863A
markeg1964

Post by markeg1964 »

My wife and I flew into Pacific City (KPFC) this past weekend and had dinner at the Mexican restaurant that is one block east of the airport. It was not fancy but the food was great. The airport is in the center of the city so I’m sure there are other restaurants. This is a perfect stop for a 170 - the runway is 1875 x 30 feet.

I almost forgot. We also took a long walk on the beach before flying home in the sunset!
Mark

Twin Oaks Airpark
1950 170A N5528C
markeg1964

Post by markeg1964 »

The Tillamook Air Museum has as 50s style burger joint attached to the Museum. I though the food was actually pretty good considering they are catering to a captive audience. The museum is what makes visiting the airport (KTMK) worthwhile. You can actually taxi down a short access road and park in front of the huge blimp hangar. With the hangar doors open it actually feels like you are part of a display. According to their web page they have over 30 aircraft. I would have guessed close to 50. They also have a nice engine display and of course the blimp hangar would be worth seeing by itself. There are also a number of airports to the north and south of Tillamook that are within walking distance of the ocean and are fun to land at.

Speaking of museums, the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum across from the McMinnville airport (KMMV) is a great place to visit. It houses the Spruce Goose along with many many other aircraft and attractions. I’ve been to the museum a number of times and have flown into the airport well over 50 times but have never flown to the airport and walked over to the museum. I’m told you can get a ride from the airport to the museum and back - probably to keep people from crossing the highway. It cost twice as much (or more) to get into the Evergreen museum, as opposed to Tillamook, and the food at their restaurant is not as good but the collection of aircraft is better.
Mark

Twin Oaks Airpark
1950 170A N5528C
markeg1964

Post by markeg1964 »

Last weekend I flew to Hood River (4S2) and visited the Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum - http://www.waaamuseum.org. I was pleasantly surprised as I didn’t expect to see such a large collection of beautiful aircraft and autos. I would guess the majority of the aircraft were from the 30s and early 40s. The bonus was an excuse to fly up the Columbia Gorge! 8)

I didn’t see a place to get a $100 hamburger although I believe there is a restaurant at The Dalles (KDLS) just up the Columbia. (The Dalles does have a really nice bathroom. I only know due to drinking a number of cups of coffree and then forgetting to go before heading out for a three hour x-country. :roll:)
Mark

Twin Oaks Airpark
1950 170A N5528C
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

There is a restaurant at the Dalles, and they have this really cool old 1930-40s style FBO building that I just love. I have had decent food at the diner there, but it's basically just a small kitchen with a 1-2 person operation. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances :lol:
Larry Holtz

Post by Larry Holtz »

Someone posted a note on pacificnorthwestflyers.com that he had stopped in a few days ago and it was in the process of closing up shop. Too bad.

Larry
cmsusllc

Post by cmsusllc »

The old Taildraggers, aka Max's, is now open as NASA Resturant ( as in NAS Arlington ).It's located mid field, East side right on taxiway Alpha. Eight to nine bucks plus your choice of liquid refreshments buys one of the best airport meals in the Northwest. Open for breakfast and lunch, closed Mondays. Well worth the trip.
Scott.....53B
akmacon

Post by akmacon »

Cashmere Airport 8S2, Free Airport loaner Van Cashmere, http://www.airnav.com/airport/8S2 , is great very close to Wenatchee and Leavenworth it is a must see 1800 feet plus over run area. The grass between taxi way and runway (land up hill past VASI lights and down hill for T/O grass (it is Not published or approved) Always best to use runway . Hope to see you here. Classic Aircraft Services #24,Drop me a call very erratic hours 509 679-0721 ,170B and a Fairchald 24W AP IA. Have a good day.Alan
rmpatt

Post by rmpatt »

Harvey Field (S43) near Snohomish, WA has a great restaurant right on the field. Skydivers depart and arrive 100' from your table, and a playground for young kids. Nice grass strip alongside the paved.
juredd1

Post by juredd1 »

Not from the NW so may be out of line for posting but when I was up in the Athol, ID area back in late August picking up my plane and getting my 170 training we flew up to Cavanaugh Bay, ID (66S) which has a restaurant just off the North end of the runway. I actually never got to eat lunch there we were always out of time (Instructors tight schedule) but stopped in there to get something to drink and use the facilities but looked like a nice place to spend lunch time. It also has a float plane dock of course that was August so the lake may be frozen this time of year. Some other 170 owners must know about this one as well, there were 2 or 3 170's there and appeared to be camping out the day we stopped. Beautiful country!!!

Justin